Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Best Possible Situation (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/best-possible-situation-49696/)

wolfofstarlight 08-19-2010 03:53 AM

Best Possible Situation

HI, I'm new to this forum and am having a bit of a problem. I had a cold water tank I recently converted to tropical fresh when my koi got too big, well... in short I ended up with some tetras and was wondering the best number of each to have in the tank as to make them happy and not overcrowd. It is planted, admittedly scarcely right now, but that it will change.

Gallons: 35

Current fish: 2 zebra danios, 2 rosy barbs, 2 cerpae tetras, 2 diamond tetras

Wish list: congo tetras, maybe neons

What do you guys think is the ideal numbers?

I should be able to trade in the rosey barbs if something has to give.

Thanks!
Kristie

1077 08-19-2010 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfofstarlight (Post 450561)
HI, I'm new to this forum and am having a bit of a problem. I had a cold water tank I recently converted to tropical fresh when my koi got too big, well... in short I ended up with some tetras and was wondering the best number of each to have in the tank as to make them happy and not overcrowd. It is planted, admittedly scarcely right now, but that it will change.

Gallons: 35

Current fish: 2 zebra danios, 2 rosy barbs, 2 cerpae tetras, 2 diamond tetras

Wish list: congo tetras, maybe neons

What do you guys think is the ideal numbers?

I should be able to trade in the rosey barbs if something has to give.

Thanks!
Kristie

I might trade in the Rosy barbs ,they get a bit large for 35 gallons in my view, I would increase the numbers of your other fishes to six to eight of each and maybe add another six or eight Pristella or Lemon Tetras, both of which fair well in in a bit wider range of water parameters than the neons. IMHO.

Byron 08-19-2010 12:18 PM

:wave: Hi Kristie, and welcome to Tropical Fish Keeping forum.

I would get rid of the Serpae Tetra. If this fish decides to follow its natural instincts as it matures, it will cause you trouble. It must be kept in groups of 8 or more to contain aggression within the group, and in a 35g it should be the only species. A 55g (4-foot) tank is the minimum recommended size for a group of this fish if other species are to be included. Have a look of our profile on this fish; click on the shaded name in posts or use the second tab from the left in the blue bar at the top to access the profile section.

As 1077 pointed out, these fish are all shoaling which means they need to be in groups to be healthy (less stress), at least 6 [aside from the unique Serpae as mentioned above]. Diamond tetra get largish, and a group of 6 would leave no room for Congo Tetra which attain 3+ inches and need swimming space as do the barbs, at least a 4-foot for Congo. They are too beautiful a fish to be given anything less.

No mention is made of water parameters, some of the common tetra are relatively adaptable being commercially-raised fish, some however are not and soft slightly acidic water is required. We have most of the available tetra listed in the characins section of the profiles, and most of the commonly-seen danio, rasbora and barbs under cyprinids. Info on water requirements, compatibility, tank size minimums, etc. are included in each species' profile. Any questions, fire away.

Byron.

aunt kymmie 08-19-2010 12:41 PM

Nothing to add to Byron's and 1077's info but wanted to welcome you to TFK!
We're glad you decided to join us. :-)

wolfofstarlight 08-19-2010 04:29 PM

pH is about 6.8, 77 F temp, already cycled, zero ammonia, slightly soft are the water specs.

Just picked up 2 more of each until money allows for the 6. May end up getting a smaller tank specifically for the serpae... we'll see.

Thanks for all of the help and I'm glad to be on here!