Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   vegetables (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/vegetables-4966/)

Falina 04-12-2007 07:34 PM

vegetables

not too sure where to put this...

basically, how long should i leave vegetables for my plec in the tank? i know that usually its receomended that you take all food not eaten after about 10 minutes back out, but this wouldnt do for the vegetables obviously.

i thoguht take it out after each day, but he wasnt ever eating any. then as an experiement i left it in for a second day and he started eating it the second day. i think it got a bit softer and easier for him to eat the second day. it was a courgette btw.

so basically how long should i/am i able to leave things like courgettes, lettuce etc in the tank?

thanks

jones57742 04-12-2007 08:21 PM

Julie:

As I am sure you know the 10 minute theory (which I do not subscribe to) is to preclude the production of the nitrogen compounds.

When I feed my veggie mixture (plain veggie mix without any meats but with the other condiments) many times some of the mixture remains three days and I have not observed any problems.

The meaty mixtures are a "whole other story".

TR

Falina 04-12-2007 08:31 PM

i knew that meaty products were different, and guessed that veges could be left in for much longer but i just wasnt sure how long "much longer" was

thanks very much

flatcam1 04-12-2007 08:35 PM

Vegitables Degrade in the tank quicker than anything else.
At the end of this process Your tank becomes very dirty And then you have to clean it :lol:

May i sugest Blanching some Zuchinni?

Hope this helps! :D

Best regards, Flatcam1 :D

Falina 04-12-2007 08:37 PM

i had just put it in raw and he seemed to enjoy it. is there a reason why it should be blanched?

jones57742 04-12-2007 08:49 PM

FC:

Are you sure that you have not been contemplating Einstein's view of Heisenenburg's uncertainty principal too long today?

Very, very good to see you again. Hope you and your folks are doing OK.

You know the question. Please do not disappoint the Redneck with your answer.

TR

flatcam1 04-12-2007 09:08 PM

Hello jones,

Nice too see you again too, Yes everything is good with the family except Zoidburg died :( And a few other tetras aswell, so we decided to Shut that tank down and put all the fish into the Long tank. Yes, I will try and pop in as much as possible from now on. I just needed a little time to settle in at highschool. Got top marks in all subjects except for drama where i got a very good instead of excellent. LOL :lol:

The reason why the Zuchinni should be blanched is that it becomes softer for the plecos and they can enjoy it more.

Hope this helps :D
Best regards, Flatcam1

Falina 04-12-2007 09:15 PM

that does help - thanks

ill blanche the next ones i give him