Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Issue with Green Torch? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/issue-green-torch-49641/)

Realistik84 08-18-2010 09:16 AM

Issue with Green Torch?

4 Attachment(s)
Hello All,

My Green Coral Torch looked funny last night. It has been fine ever since I got it, but late last night I looked and one of the heads looked very odd.

Picture #1 and #2 show the Coral Torch current state (As of late last night)
Picture #3 shows the Coral Torch from a previous picture so you can see a healthy state

Picture #4 is to show current state of overall tank, All other Corals are healthy.

Test Results:
(To be updated this evening. Noticed this very late last night after a 14 hour day.)

Any ideas?

reefsahoy 08-18-2010 09:20 AM

that may be normal. did you change anything in the tank or threw some food in it? sometimes the tenticles grab food and close down to feed. or sometimes they get irretated by one of the live stock. how long has it looked that way? the torch also closes down when lights are out too. my guess is there was food or lights off because the hammer is in the same family and require about the same water quality and lighting needs.

Realistik84 08-18-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefsahoy (Post 449876)
that may be normal. did you change anything in the tank or threw some food in it? sometimes the tenticles grab food and close down to feed. or sometimes they get irretated by one of the live stock. how long has it looked that way? the torch also closes down when lights are out too. my guess is there was food or lights off because the hammer is in the same family and require about the same water quality and lighting needs.

Thanks for helping out. The lights have been on for about 75% of their cycle at that point. I dont know how long it was like that, I was gone all day, noticed this at 11:30, took pictures and went to bed.

I fed only a few minor flakes for Clowns/Anthias sparingly. (Typically feed frozen Brine or Mysis Shrimp)

reefsahoy 08-18-2010 12:30 PM

what does it look like after lights on for a few hours?

Realistik84 08-19-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefsahoy (Post 449999)
what does it look like after lights on for a few hours?

Well the night I noticed it, the lights were on for about 4 hours thus far, and it was really retracted. Pictures did not do it justice.

Oddly enough, last night it was fine. Looked normal. Goes to show you how weird these animals can be....;-)

onefish2fish 08-19-2010 09:24 AM

its possible it was eating, bumped, or it wasnt liking something. might be a good idea for a small water change. you also never mention any of your water params, flow, lighting, and so on.

i personally would offer other foods then flake or brine and i suggest using selcon and a few drops of garlic in the food too if you can. anthias prefer to be fed a few times a day.

reefsahoy 08-19-2010 10:30 AM

just keep an eye on both the hammer and torch. if you see both going south at the same time something is wrong assuming you are not feeding or no lights out.

DisneyCoralReef 09-04-2010 02:50 PM

Now totally stupid question here, but would fish eat part of it? is there such a thing?

reefsahoy 09-11-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyCoralReef (Post 464176)
Now totally stupid question here, but would fish eat part of it? is there such a thing?

not a dumb question. flame angels and many of the smaller angels will nip at the corals. usually angels are good neighbors but after a year or so the angels begin to nip at them and once they get a taste they usually dont stop. they wont constantly eat the corals but every so often they will nip and sometimes enough to cause the coral not to open and starve slowly to death. they will also nip at clams. i had an angel i had to remove from my tank for those reasons.