Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   bits in water (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/bits-water-4954/)

me12 04-12-2007 11:29 AM

bits in water

I have been running a fluval 205 on a hagen 800 deep tank and find that I have small bits in the water. It's just not as clear as I would expect for an expensive filter. The bits are about 0.1 mm or something like that, like small pieces of dust. The water is moving quickly through the system and the filter has been cleared out. I have tried water clearers but they make no difference. On my son's tank he has an internal fluval running and he doesn't seem to have any bits in his tank. My tank has had plenty of water changes and has good water test readings. Would any of you suggest a second filter to improve water quality, or not?

shaggbark 04-12-2007 11:54 AM

Hello 8) I had this same problem with my Fluval 304. I set it up as per the directions but even after the water was fully cycled I could see fine particulate in the water, giving the water a slight cloudy look to it. I tried everything including several different drops to place into the water. Nothing worked until I purchased the White Fluval floss pads from the store. Within 24 hours my water was crystal clear and has been ever since. So my questions to you are..

What is in the Fluval canister itself?

How long has your tank been set up? Cloudy water can be a part of the natural cycling. Also, different types of fish food or overfeeding can cause clouding.

Michelle

me12 04-12-2007 12:38 PM

not cloudy

Hi thanks for your reply

My water is not cloudy, it just has bits in. I had thought about using floss pads when I first bought the filter, but I believe they have to be changed very frequently which I thought defeats the object of having a good filter. I had used the loose type of floss initially but found this did nothing noticeably. I understood floss pads were something extra. My local shop, (I live in Inverness), didn't even stock floss pads.

I have pre-filter media, at the bottom then carbon, then biomax at the top. the tank has been running about 4 months now. I only feed once a day sparingly and have about 15 medium sized fish. I spyphon my tank and hoover the bottom each week.

Regards

AF_medic 04-13-2007 03:14 AM

you don't have to buy pre-made floss pads. I use polyester batting for my filter floss. it's called Polyfil, it's the stuff your Mom puts between two big pieces of cloth, calls all of her friends over, to make quilts or blankets out of it.

it's cheap and easily replaceable. I just buy a big roll of it, sit down to watch a movie and cut out multiple pieces in the right shape for my Eheim filters. and my 55g looks very clean.

Daz 04-13-2007 03:18 AM

Go to ebay and put in a search for filter floss, it's real cheap. :D

me12 04-13-2007 06:08 AM

changing floss

Okay, so the consensus is floss. Thanks.

I did find floss rather annoying, though, when I had it in before. I was led to believe that it had to be changed every week. Also, I found it seemed to reduce the water flow after any longer than this. I would rather have had something with less maintenance. Any thoughts?

shaggbark 04-13-2007 07:50 PM

It's me again 8) I just rinse mine out in the tank water that I have taken out for water changes. I only do this every 2 or 3 weeks. Would that work for you?

me12 04-17-2007 07:51 AM

Thanks, shaggbark, I have just received some wadding through the post and have reorganised my 205 to see if it makes any difference. If this doesn't work I might try adding a secondary filter.

Regards
Mark