Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Common Pond Snails...How big do they actually get? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/common-pond-snails-how-big-do-49529/)

dfbiggs 08-16-2010 04:25 PM

Common Pond Snails...How big do they actually get?
 
1 Attachment(s)
I have had these guys for a while and they seemed to stop growing at about dime to nickel size. Is that all the bigger they get? I have been searching for their exact species name to find out but I keep getting other types that are very large and was wondering if they were the same kind of snails.

dfbiggs 08-17-2010 11:17 PM

I take it no one in here lets them live long enough to see...:-)

aunt kymmie 08-17-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 449691)
I take it no one in here lets them live long enough to see...:-)

:oops: Yes, I admit it, I'm a squisher of pond snails.

dfbiggs 08-17-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 449698)
:oops: Yes, I admit it, I'm a squisher of pond snails.

:lol: Aunt Kymmie..I never would have thought...

I squished tiny babies because they damaged my plants so bad but if you don't catch them early enough to squish..that's just gross..plus they have developed personalties and I get attached..lol..so that's why I recently bought a 1.5g..who does this..

Now working on giving them a good home..just wanted to be able to tell people taking them off my hands how big they get..

FuzzAz 08-18-2010 12:48 AM

Thats about as big as I have seen them get in my aquarium. I have seen some in outdoor ponds that are almost quarter size, but they may be a different snail alltogether. It would be nearly impossable to find the exact species without a lab because there are probably several that are very similar. you probably could narrow it to genus but that wouldnt tell you much about a paticular species size.

1077 08-18-2010 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfbiggs (Post 448309)
I have had these guys for a while and they seemed to stop growing at about dime to nickel size. Is that all the bigger they get? I have been searching for their exact species name to find out but I keep getting other types that are very large and was wondering if they were the same kind of snails.

These snails will grow to the size of a small dog and natives on some Islands,, use the shells from adult snails as bathtubs for their babies.

dfbiggs 08-18-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzAz (Post 449763)
Thats about as big as I have seen them get in my aquarium. I have seen some in outdoor ponds that are almost quarter size, but they may be a different snail alltogether. It would be nearly impossable to find the exact species without a lab because there are probably several that are very similar. you probably could narrow it to genus but that wouldnt tell you much about a paticular species size.


Yeah I was looking for their species all ove rthe place and came across the small brown ones name yesterday..its a physid snail..so that helps some.

dfbiggs 08-18-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 449825)
These snails will grow to the size of a small dog and natives on some Islands,, use the shells from adult snails as bathtubs for their babies.

So you know these 2 species then?

kitten_penang 08-18-2010 03:19 PM

eeeeekkkkkkk........ escargo yummy

redchigh 08-18-2010 03:45 PM

they never ate my plants..


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2