Tropical Fish Keeping banner

What to feed platies?

18K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  tanker 
#1 ·
1) What vegteables should feed platies? How often?

2) How often do you give them frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp?

3) Should you give them algae wafers? How often? Do you break them up?

#3 ·
1) What vegteables should feed platies? How often?
I fed mine spinach, I haven't done so in a while as it was getting stuck in there mouth as they tried to eat each whole piece, they would eventually spit it out though. I'm sure if I cooked it better and cut into smaller pieces it would be ok. I fed spinach because you can just buy a bag of the frozen stuff and take out 1 piece at a time.

2) How often do you give them frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp?
Bloodworms once a week here, if I remember.

3) Should you give them algae wafers? How often? Do you break them up?
I use to put algae pellets in for my otos but it turns out there is enough regular algae for my otos so they would ignore them, but all the other fish would go crazy for it. 1 small piece broken off a pellet meant for a gold fish would keep 10 fish attacking the piece for an hour. I don't think they have good enough nutrition for an omnivore like platys so I stopped feeding it to them, plus these goldfish ones stunk up my water pretty good.

I think the key is just to find out what works for you, I'm sure they could live just off flake food just fine but it is interesting to see them eat different foods, like they would just casually eat the blood worms, but they would go in a frenzy for the algae pellet (probably because is smelled so much).

#6 ·
Have always used Omega One Veggie flakes,Spirulina flakes,and Hikari spirulina based Brine Shrimp.
Much easier than messing about with vegetables (for me).
Java moss, and or dried marine algae also work well in my expierience.
I would offer the meaty foods perhaps once or twice a week. blood worms,Tubifex (freeze dried), and brine shrimp.
Nearly all livebearer's will go to town on algae wafers ,broken up ,,or otherwise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.