Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   I just had a heater emergency (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-just-had-heater-emergency-49388/)

Inga 08-14-2010 12:37 PM

I just had a heater emergency

I am so happy and thankful that I was home when I was. I was sitting here in my office looking at some things on the computer when I heard this funny noise. Then I smelled something. I followed the noise to my fish tank and then saw my heater with a line of bubbles coming out of it. The smell was coming from the heater and the heater had a crack in it.

I am so mad since I got this stupid heater less then 4 months ago. It is a Stealth Pro heater and supposed to be really good. I immediately unplugged and removed it and then jumped in the car to go get another heater. The store assured me that this was a very rare occurrence with the Stealth heaters and I have heard a lot of good things about them from here and other fish fanciers. I got another one but will be chatting with the company about this.

Thankfully my fish are alright and not fried. I actually bought 2 heater's this time so I don't repeat the emergency. I know people always say one of the biggest killers of fish is temperature change. I didn't want a big drop in temperature and to lose my fish either. I am just so happy I was home at the right time. My poor little fish could have ended up dead. Thank God, they had an Angel watching over them today.

Romad 08-14-2010 01:00 PM

Phew - that was a close call. I've never heard of that happening either but just like anything else, there's bound to be a defective one every now and then.

Glad you were home at the time.

zof 08-14-2010 03:32 PM

Yes you don't hear about heater failures too often but when you do it usually kills the whole tank off, I'm so glad you were able to catch it before anything bad happened.

bones14 08-14-2010 04:03 PM

Glad you caught it berore something bad happened.I had a heater malfunction in my 10g.I came home one day and the thermometer was spiked as high as it would go.The heater wasn't cutting off.I couldn't believe how hot the water was and that i didn't loose any fish.

aunt kymmie 08-14-2010 04:36 PM

Yikes, what a lucky break that you happened to be home! I have that style heater in all my tanks and have never had a problem. *knocks wood*

Inga 08-14-2010 04:37 PM

I have heard so much good about that type of heater but let's face it. They are not perfect. I just happened to be unlucky enough to have the one that broke but lucky enough to be there so as to avoid a total loss of fish in my tank.

kitten_penang 08-14-2010 05:41 PM

are the gardeners the ones who did that to show you retaliation??? it could be them but i'm just saying =)

Inga 08-14-2010 05:52 PM

I don't know Kitten, I think they are hungry, not evil but who knows. Doesn't seem like a well thought out plan since they could very well have fried themselves in their efforts.

amazon21 08-14-2010 06:25 PM

Was the water level low? I think that sometimes causes heaters to crack.

kitten_penang 08-14-2010 06:33 PM

well suicide bombers do the same thing when retaliating lol might be a malfunction.my arowana has deliberately knocked againt the heater but no cracks so far. touch wood