Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Can you use plants from a pond in your tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/can-you-use-plants-pond-your-49312/)

crazy4fish 08-13-2010 08:49 AM

Can you use plants from a pond in your tank?

i have a pond in my backyard and there is a plant that i really like growing in it. i was wondering if it would be possible to add it to my tank? but i dont know how to make sure theres no bacteria going with it, i dont want to kill all my fish because of one plant. anyone have suggestions on how to "clean" the plant before adding it to the tank?

kitten_penang 08-13-2010 09:13 AM

soak it for a few days in parasit away bt ake sure it's safe for plants before you buy it.the lfs will intro you to a few products and even if they say it's safe read the lables to be sure

Byron 08-13-2010 07:17 PM

The probelm will be winter; as you're in NY, the pond probably freezes over so if this plant is there year round it needs a rest (hibernation) and in a wam tank will probably fall apart come autumn. On the other hand, if this plant is something you add in the summer every year, it may survive year-round in warmth indoors.

By "pond" I am assuming an ornamental pond someone made; as opposed to a patch of natural water from nature. Introducing plants from the latter is more risky as kitten mentioned than introducing something bought and added to an ornamental pond. But still, critters outside will be inside with the plants.

redchigh 08-14-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 446353)
But still, critters outside will be inside with the plants.

Which might not neccesarily be a bad thing- many critters turn into nice snacks for fish, and the pond probably has a wider variety of bacteria (which may be a good thing).

Basically depends on the pond. If it is a small man-made pond with a filter, etc, it may be fine, and also if it has no fish at all then there won't be any fish parasites in it.

Also, many plant dealers get their plants from suppliers that raise their plants in ponds.

crazy4fish 08-15-2010 10:25 AM

well the pond itself is manmade but it is fed by natural springs. there are sunfish and goldfish in the pond along with frogs. and the plants are growing naturaly, we didnt buy them from a store and add them to the pond. so do you think it would still be okay if i just soak the plants in a product from the fish store?

Byron 08-15-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy4fish (Post 447318)
well the pond itself is manmade but it is fed by natural springs. there are sunfish and goldfish in the pond along with frogs. and the plants are growing naturaly, we didnt buy them from a store and add them to the pond. so do you think it would still be okay if i just soak the plants in a product from the fish store?

As I said previously, natural plants will likely not last year-round in a "tropical" tank because they need that winter rest when they die down. You can try them, it's your aquarium, but the mess from dying plants can be troublesome.

bones14 08-15-2010 11:02 AM

I think it's best to err on the side of caution.If I wasn't sure about it,I wouldn't put it in my tank.It might work or it might lead to other problems.Just my opinion.

redchigh 08-17-2010 03:06 PM

I agree, if they were plants you bought and were growing that might be fine, but the plants that are naturally in your area are probably coldwater if anything, and will die in tropical temperatures.

Maybe pull some hornwort or anarchis out, but anything else I wouldn't bet on it.

nomel 08-18-2010 01:24 AM

Wow, you people are boring! Soak it for a while, stick it in, see if it grows! If it starts to die, pull it out, put it back in your pond. Obviously, it will die slowly and you'll be able to notice. I currently have a floating plant from a local lake in my tank. It's growing great and is in much better shape than when I found it (duck eaten). Although lately my silver dollars took a liking to its leaves and my Gourami took a liking to its roots. It's tough finding plants the silver dollars wont eat, being mostly herbivores and all. :-\

1077 08-18-2010 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy4fish (Post 446017)
i have a pond in my backyard and there is a plant that i really like growing in it. i was wondering if it would be possible to add it to my tank? but i dont know how to make sure theres no bacteria going with it, i dont want to kill all my fish because of one plant. anyone have suggestions on how to "clean" the plant before adding it to the tank?

I would be hesitant to place anything from outdoor pond into the aquarium be it plants,seed material from filter,or decor.
The possiblity of introducing parasites such as anchor worms,flukes,fish lice,and a host of possible bacterial pathogens and or other parasites is too great.
While it is true, that many fish in the wild or outdoor ponds live with the afore mentioned parasites and or bacterial pathogens,,, It is not something I would want to chance with fishes I keep ,Opinions vary.