Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Yellow Lab Fry Questions URGENT PLZ (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/yellow-lab-fry-questions-urgent-plz-49282/)

MoneyMitch 08-12-2010 06:41 PM

Yellow Lab Fry Questions URGENT PLZ

So my sife woke up this am and noticed small see through fish in the tank. So i came over to take a closer look and there are three fry that i can find in the tank and the female IS currently holding aswell. Know my questions are, i have lots of other much larger aggressive africans in the tank, What will be the best way to get the fry into a breeding box and should i also but the labs in the box with them? Any and all advice is much appriciated.

TankMAster 08-13-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoneyMitch (Post 445690)
So my sife woke up this am and noticed small see through fish in the tank. So i came over to take a closer look and there are three fry that i can find in the tank and the female IS currently holding aswell. Know my questions are, i have lots of other much larger aggressive africans in the tank, What will be the best way to get the fry into a breeding box and should i also but the labs in the box with them? Any and all advice is much appriciated.

For the sake of the fry, move the mother to a tank with water from your existing tank. Add some rocks and places to hide. It would be ideal to add green water to the tank you are putting the female in.

If you cant take care of the fry, just leave the mother in the tank as she is. The fry will survive anyway.

MoneyMitch 08-14-2010 10:03 AM

Thanks for the reply, I called my local Zoo and spoke with the aquarium dept. Heres what they said- Leave the female alone cause if you try and net her she will swallow what she is holding. Its like a defense mechanism, when she feels that she is in danger shell swallow to so that she is better able to escape the scenario. The fry that are in the tank if they have survived this long chances are they'll be ok until they start to venture out of the cover. They have been scavenge left over food and algae to suffice, adding brine shrimp/ghost shrimp would do me more harm then good with the current conditions. They suggested i add more cover to the tank and let nature take its course. They also said about every 90 days as long as the conditions are the way they are now they will breed.

So i went out bought 150lbs more stone and added it to the tank, Looks great and has actually cut down on alot of the aggression in the tank.

mollies 08-15-2010 03:06 PM

hey money nice to see you again.
I have ben striping the fry my females hold. I net them, then open there mouth with a ink pen,
Now that is for breeding purposes only. If you realy want the fry to survive go to the diy section and look up breeder net cages, I posted on there as it would hold your female and your fry as she releases them.
Other wise you could let nature take its course like You have said above good luck.