Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Water levels (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/water-levels-49281/)

GoneFishin 08-12-2010 06:34 PM

Water levels

PH: 7.2
NO2: 0.25
NH3/NH4: 0.25
NO3: 5.0

First water test tank has been established for a week. Water appears to be a bit murky. Any words of advice to help clear it up?

GoneFishin 08-13-2010 04:52 PM

cool

aunt kymmie 08-13-2010 05:26 PM

The tank's been set up for a week? Which method are you using to cycle the tank??

GoneFishin 08-13-2010 06:07 PM

just the planted cycle.. i dont have fish yet though

Byron 08-13-2010 07:28 PM

What is the substrate, and what is the filter and presumably it is running? And what is tank size (gallons)?

GoneFishin 08-13-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 446363)
What is the substrate, and what is the filter and presumably it is running? And what is tank size (gallons)?

I'll make a sig and put this info in it... i guess

its a 29gal,l topfin 30 filter, foam filter media, Super Naturals black sand substrate. I added root tabs, not sure if you have seen that post or not. today is day 6 in the cycle and I still can't see through the tank (from side to side) not sure if this is normal. Once I find my camera I will post pictures.

Oh and plants, as of now I just have Amazon Swords x5

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-13-2010 07:55 PM

What do you mean by murky? What color is this murkiness? o.o

GoneFishin 08-13-2010 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaFishkeeper (Post 446375)
What do you mean by murky? What color is this murkiness? o.o

like a brown/green.. I'm not sure how long to keep the light on during the day, so I think it's on for far to long

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-14-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFishin (Post 446521)
like a brown/green.. I'm not sure how long to keep the light on during the day, so I think it's on for far to long

I keep my planted tanks lights on about 8 hours. You?

Byron 08-14-2010 12:02 AM

Well, it could be a couple of things from what you've told us. First (hopefully) the substrate; I say hopefully because if this is the source it will clear without trouble. I asked about the filter because that should help it to clear.

Second, could be a bacteria bloom, common in new setups. This will also clear on its own. This I would think should be white though, so probably not pertinent here. Water changes would make this worse, or at any rate it would not clear as quickly as leave it alone.

But more likely, Third, if it is really more green than brown then it is likely "green water" which is an algae bloom that occurs when light and nutrients exceed what the plants can use. And without fish CO2 will be minimal so the plants are held back by that shortage [the law of minimum I've mentioned elsewhere], this nutrient carbon is not included in root ferts. Working on the assumption this is the cause, reduce the light. You have swords, so 8-10 hours a day light on, use a timer to be consistent; and a couple water changes. These will help clear up green water provided the light is reduced as well. Cut the light back gradually, e.g. if it is on for 12 hours now, reduce it to 10 for a week or two; if that doesn't do it, reduce it another hour. Rather than all at once.

Byron.