Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   55 gallonoverstocked? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/55-gallonoverstocked-49243/)

vindicatedornot 08-12-2010 10:44 AM

55 gallonoverstocked?

Hello there,

I've had this tank for about 4 months and it seems to be doin' great. My dad and I are in a bit of a debate as to wether or not it is over stocked. Right now it has

Scalare Angelfish x 2
Congo Tetra X 4
Bosmanian Rainbow X 1
Red Rainbow X 1
Long Fin Serpae X 1
Glass Catfish x 1
Red Tipped Shark x 1
Neon Tetra x 6
Upside-Down Catfish x 1
Cherry Barb x 8
Lemon Tetra x 8
Blood-fin Tetra x 6
Some little eel thingy and a long fin bristle-nose pleco :D

Anythoughts? I can upload some pictures after work.

-Andrea

kitten_penang 08-12-2010 10:47 AM

how big is the tanks???

kitten_penang 08-12-2010 10:49 AM

55 gallon silly me. if the red tail get big and you add 5 more glass catfish because they need to shoal then your mighty over stocked

Romad 08-12-2010 11:53 AM

Use this link. It's pretty good at telling you which fish are compatible too. Let us know what you come up with.

http://www.aqadvisor.com

vindicatedornot 08-12-2010 12:00 PM

I'm actually thinking about getting rid of the red tailed shark. He's about 6 inches and killed two of my serpaes and 3 glass catfish :( other than that they all seem to get along.

I'll use that calculator when I get home. I'm stuck at work >_< I work at a petshop/fish store XD doesn't help the addiction at all

CaliforniaFishkeeper 08-12-2010 12:23 PM

Is tank planted?

vindicatedornot 08-12-2010 12:34 PM

No, there is one real plant but all the rest are fake
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 08-12-2010 12:52 PM

The tank is overstocked more in the sense that you need more of some of those species but there is no room for more. The mix of fish is incompatible due to different water parameter preferences and behaviours. You need to make some decisions as to which fish you want in order to have a healthy group of fish and a stable aquarium.

Rainbow fish are shoaling fish that should be in a group of 5-6 or more. They also require basic harder water, above pH 7, to be healthy. The red rainbow attains 6 inches, and a group of 5-6 of these would more than fill a 55g on their own. The Boeseman rainbow attains 4+ inches, also needs a group of 5-6 or more. Shoaling fish need to be in a group in order to be free of stress, and many species also have a social structure within the group that is important for their health.

Characins (tetras) are also shoaling and except for the lone Serpae Tetra you're OK there. I would remove this fish (stores will sometimes exchange fish, other hobbyists in the area). It needs a group of at least 8, and can become very aggressive otherwise. And this is a species that should not be housed with sedate or long fin fish (angels). Check the fish profile for details, you can click on the shaded name in posts or use the link second tab from the left in the blue bar at the top.

I understand the other Serpae fell victim to the Red Tailed Shark, so you've learned first hand about the advice in our profile of this species. This fish is not a good community fish as noted there, and you are wise to remove it.

Glass catfish need a group of 6, they are shy fish and without a group may refuse to eat and pine away. This is another of the decisions, if you really like this fish there must be more of them, but space issues as noted with the rainbows may prevent this.

The upsidedown catfish also needs a group, 4-5; it attains 3-4 inches. Bits of wood and plants are well suited to this fish (and many of the others too, but this one really appreciates this, which means better health, less stress).

I honestly suggest you consider removing some of the fish as this tank is inadequate in size to house all of them properly. One idea would be to go with the angels and Congo Tetra as the basis (adding 2 more Congo), with the tetras (not Serpae though) and cherry barbs, and a group of upsidedown cats. All these will get along, and all prefer soft slightly acidic water. If that is what your source water is, or close (pH 6-7.4 range). Alternatively, the rainbows (increased group), with the glass catfish (increased to 6). Remove the other fish. The pleco is fine with either option. Something like this. While the fish may "appear" to be fine now, they are in fact not fine, they are under stress for the reasons mentioned above, and stress brings on health issues that would not otherwise occur. A fish like the Shark is stressing out the other fish even if it doesn't phyusically attack them, just by being there; and as it has already claimed glass cats and some tetra, this should make sense.

Hope this helps a bit. I'm sure most of us have found ourselves in this dilemma, I know I did; researching and knowing the fish's needs before buying them is a wise precaution.

Byron.

vindicatedornot 08-12-2010 01:22 PM

I've been doing a fair amount of research and I realized the error in keeping them together. The tank was givin to me and I started it slowly with just the two angels. I was adding fish slowly here and there.. maybe 2 or 3 at a time. Buuuuuuuut, I come home from a two week vacation and my neighbor has "generously" given all of her freshwater fish to us, so yeah.. I didn't exactly TRY to stress the poor guys out. Gonna bring the red tailed shark up to work so I can resell it and I probably the glass catfish too. Space is limited in the tanks at work so ill have to thin out the tank slowly. I work mostly with the dogs and reptiles so I'm fairly new to fish.

I see now I left some of this info out of the original post. Sorry about that. Wrote it in the morning while I was half asleep.

Thank you for the detailed post! I'll upload some pics afterwork so you can see the size of them and perhaps identify the eel looking fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 08-12-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindicatedornot (Post 445436)
I've been doing a fair amount of research and I realized the error in keeping them together. The tank was givin to me and I started it slowly with just the two angels. I was adding fish slowly here and there.. maybe 2 or 3 at a time. Buuuuuuuut, I come home from a two week vacation and my neighbor has "generously" given all of her freshwater fish to us, so yeah.. I didn't exactly TRY to stress the poor guys out. Gonna bring the red tailed shark up to work so I can resell it and I probably the glass catfish too. Space is limited in the tanks at work so ill have to thin out the tank slowly. I work mostly with the dogs and reptiles so I'm fairly new to fish.

I see now I left some of this info out of the original post. Sorry about that. Wrote it in the morning while I was half asleep.

Thank you for the detailed post! I'll upload some pics afterwork so you can see the size of them and perhaps identify the eel looking fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're most welcome. That's a good plan; decide how you want this to go (the end aquarium result), remove the non-compatible fish as you can, then work to develop the goal. If you post your water parameters I might have more, if you like.