Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   fish dying =( (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-dying-49239/)

brandelion 08-12-2010 07:34 AM

fish dying =(
 
well I think it's safe to say that the 'heat' method of killing ich (if that is even the problem) is not working

last night I found one of my black neon tetras dead... then this morning when I turned on the light one of my dwarf gourami is belly up too!!

I'm sort of confused by this as the gouramis did not appear to have anything wrong at all... I have no idea if what is wrong with the tetras is what also killed the gourami or it it just died of something else all together... but it's kinda freaking me out!!

kind of at a loss as to what to do :/

OscarLoverJim 08-12-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandelion (Post 445213)
well I think it's safe to say that the 'heat' method of killing ich (if that is even the problem) is not working

last night I found one of my black neon tetras dead... then this morning when I turned on the light one of my dwarf gourami is belly up too!!

I'm sort of confused by this as the gouramis did not appear to have anything wrong at all... I have no idea if what is wrong with the tetras is what also killed the gourami or it it just died of something else all together... but it's kinda freaking me out!!

kind of at a loss as to what to do :/


Some fish are more sensitive to temperature changes than others. If I'm not mistaken you've generated multiple threads regarding this same problem so I'm not sure what advice in total you've been given but I usually suggest to people to use Mardel's Coppersafe for Ich and not salt nor increases in temp both of which cause more and greater stresses on already sick fish.

Neons can die if you so much as fart too close to the tank so who knows but I'm sorry about your gourami, they're usually sturdier.

kitten_penang 08-12-2010 08:04 AM

sorry to hear about that.the heat and stress might have killed it. why don't you get a qt and dose the rest of the with the blue meds and skip the heater

brandelion 08-12-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OscarLoverJim (Post 445219)
Some fish are more sensitive to temperature changes than others. If I'm not mistaken you've generated multiple threads regarding this same problem so I'm not sure what advice in total you've been given but I usually suggest to people to use Mardel's Coppersafe for Ich and not salt nor increases in temp both of which cause more and greater stresses on already sick fish.

Neons can die if you so much as fart too close to the tank so who knows but I'm sorry about your gourami, they're usually sturdier.

I think the subject has come up in a couple different threads but I only actually started one other one about them being sick... not sure why I didn't think to just add this to that one

the advice I was given was to crank up the heat - so that is what I did

anyway... as soon as I can, I will be going to get some medicine and I'll slowly be turning the heat back down

problem is I don't drive and I live a good 45 minutes from the nearest store - so I predict more casualties before I can get anywhere :/

part of me is tempted to pull the tetras and cut my losses - there has to be a more humane way of taking care of them than letting them suffer until they just die in the tank - especially if they are going to die when nobody can get them out for HOURS at a clip - further contaminating the tank :/

kitten_penang 08-12-2010 08:27 AM

Neons can die if you so much as fart too close to the tank so who knows but I'm sorry about your gourami, they're usually sturdier.

OscarLoverJim 08-12-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandelion (Post 445226)
anyway... as soon as I can, I will be going to get some medicine and I'll slowly be turning the heat back down problem is I don't drive and I live a good 45 minutes from the nearest store - so I predict more casualties before I can get anywhere :/
part of me is tempted to pull the tetras and cut my losses - there has to be a more humane way of taking care of them than letting them suffer until they just die in the tank - especially if they are going to die when nobody can get them out for HOURS at a clip - further contaminating the tank :/

Sorry about the travel distance issue, that sucks.

No I wouldn't pull the tetras, you never know they may make it through.

brandelion 08-12-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 445220)
sorry to hear about that.the heat and stress might have killed it. why don't you get a qt and dose the rest of the with the blue meds and skip the heater

if by qt you mean quarantine tank... it's not an option at the moment - I'd need to be able to get to a store and buy another filter - I won't be able to do that until the weekend

but would it make sense to start another setup and drop contaminated fish into it??

and what 'blue meds'??

gah! as we speak I just watched another tetra die =(

brandelion 08-12-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OscarLoverJim (Post 445235)
Sorry about the travel distance issue, that sucks.

No I wouldn't pull the tetras, you never know they may make it through.

I just watched one of the tetras get sucked up to the intake on the filter and I'm noticing that the points of his tail seem to be GONE!!

what the heck would have caused something like THAT??

anyway... I'm not gonna leave this one in there... I thought he was dead but he's not - but I can't see how he would survive if he doesn't have tail fins :/

OscarLoverJim 08-12-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brandelion (Post 445242)
I just watched one of the tetras get sucked up to the intake on the filter and I'm noticing that the points of his tail seem to be GONE!!

what the heck would have caused something like THAT??

anyway... I'm not gonna leave this one in there... I thought he was dead but he's not - but I can't see how he would survive if he doesn't have tail fins :/


I wonder if more is going on than just ich.

How are your water parameters?

brandelion 08-12-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OscarLoverJim (Post 445279)
I wonder if more is going on than just ich.

How are your water parameters?

when I checked last (a day and a half ago) they were fine... ammonia between zero and .25 (I think it's picking up ammonium from the prime) nitrite zero - nitrate somewhere between 10 and 20 (guessing closer to 10)

guess I should test again now


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2