Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Building our 75G reef...and updates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/building-our-75g-reef-updates-49226/)

DisneyCoralReef 08-11-2010 11:30 PM

Building our 75G reef...and updates

Here we go!

After reading A LOT over the last few months and getting a lot of great advice from our lovely forum readers, we have finally taken the first step into our new adventure of building our first saltwater tank :-D

Hoping to start up this thread and post some regular updates as we get our gear together. No pictures of the new tank yet as it was ordered this afternoon. It should take about 3 weeks to come in. The stand in the pic below is the one that is coming in. We ordered a 75G reef ready tank with a stand that will be able to accommodate a sump. (The pic below shows a 90G tank).
http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/34...600x600Q85.jpg

Keep an eye out on our blog(my signature)as I'll be posting updates there more frequently. We have nothing else at this point, but I think we're heading in the right direction!

jeaninel 08-12-2010 12:07 AM

Hey Disney,
How exciting for you. I look forward to watching your tank progress. Congrats and good luck with your new tank. :-)

reefsahoy 08-12-2010 05:57 AM

cool, i will be watching your build! it will be interesting to see it from start to finish. the biggest key to ssuccess is be patient. did you decide on lights yet?

DisneyCoralReef 08-12-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefsahoy (Post 445182)
cool, i will be watching your build! it will be interesting to see it from start to finish. the biggest key to ssuccess is be patient. did you decide on lights yet?

To be honest I'm not 100% sure. From the sounds of it the best option will be T5's?
Posted via Mobile Device

onefish2fish 08-12-2010 10:20 AM

i personally like t5s and i have halides too. i do like halides but if i could only choose one, it would be a bunch of t5s.

reefsahoy 08-12-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyCoralReef (Post 445236)
To be honest I'm not 100% sure. From the sounds of it the best option will be T5's?
Posted via Mobile Device

let me give you some facts and from there you can make a better decision. with a 75 gal tank you can use 6 X t5's and keep just about anything in the tank. If you go halides you probably need 250 watt hqi and at least 2t5's for supplemental lighting. so.

t5's = 324 watts
bulb replacement yearly $150
heat is less into the tank

MH = 600 watts
bulb replacement yearly $190
more heat into the tank

basically t5's are alittle cheaperthan MH to run, the house is cooler so AC runs less. the trade off is that MH has a nice shimmer. I have MH and I've ran T5's on tanks before. I did the change because i wanted to try something else. If i were to do it again i would seriously consider T5's just from cost

DisneyCoralReef 08-12-2010 05:59 PM

Reef, you are my savior. Where do I mail cookies to?
Posted via Mobile Device

reefsahoy 08-12-2010 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyCoralReef (Post 445651)
Reef, you are my savior. Where do I mail cookies to?
Posted via Mobile Device

UR too funny!LOL I'm in Maimi Florida but i rarely eat anything sweet. the only thing i do with sugar is coffee :lol: anything to help another reefer. BTW not all T5's are made equal so there are differences to look for. getting individual reflectors for each bulb is real important so dont just run out and get a fixture. there are some cheap lights out there that you want to avoid.

DisneyCoralReef 08-12-2010 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefsahoy (Post 445708)
UR too funny!LOL I'm in Maimi Florida but i rarely eat anything sweet. the only thing i do with sugar is coffee :lol: anything to help another reefer.

Wee r nat foony! wee r can-eh-dians!

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefsahoy (Post 445708)
BTW not all T5's are made equal so there are differences to look for. getting individual reflectors for each bulb is real important so dont just run out and get a fixture. there are some cheap lights out there that you want to avoid.

Hold onto to that thought. The guy from the store showed these T5s that we can hook up over the tank. Not sure which ones specifically but they all connected depending on how many you needed, I will have to bug you guys about it when I start looking at them. My next goal, is to figure out what sump to buy but I think i've got a lot more reading to do about it because other than the article I read, I dont find its enough for me to be comfortable enough to go out and buy one.

reefsahoy 08-13-2010 05:08 AM

the light you are probably talking about u can aaaa ddd anian. LOL is probably this one
http://www.petsolutions.com/images/400/10901138.jpg

i would gowith the other one i mentioned before and you definitely don't want the bulbs thats included with that fixture. IMO, sumps are nothing more than a tank to hold your filtration equipment under your stand. there's nothing magical about them. you could even go to a container store and by a leak proof container that can fit under your stand and use that.