Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Vivariums and Reptiles (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/)
-   -   newts, frogs and fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/vivariums-reptiles/newts-frogs-fish-492/)

H00ky12 09-15-2006 06:53 PM

newts, frogs and fish

i was wondering, im looking to put newts african underwater frogs and some other kind of fish in my new tank. The thing is, one, im not sure how much land newts actually need. Two can small tetras or fancy guppies go with newt or underwater frogs. I know that the newts ad frogs go together, so thats not an issue. All posts are greatly appreciated

Lupin 09-15-2006 06:57 PM

I wouldn't really go for guppies. They can only produce too fast.
Why not stick with danios or red-tailed rasboras?

What is the size of your tank to accommodate those creatures you mentioned?

joeshmoe 09-15-2006 06:57 PM

i would go with the frogs newts need land and water so i dont think the fish will go well with out a heater and filter

H00ky12 09-16-2006 10:10 AM

yeah, thanks i went to the store yesterday and they said the same thing. Im gonna just get probly 2frogs and two newts with some land for them to stay on.

joeshmoe 09-16-2006 11:01 AM

think you can put crab if want

Lupin 09-16-2006 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeshmoe
think you can put crab if want

I wouldn't. Not with the frogs and newts in the tank.
Crabs can be aggressive and their claws will only harm the other inhabitants. The same thing will apply to crayfish.

Ramirezi160 10-25-2006 03:17 PM

I agree with Blue. Besides, fiddler crabs need brackish water, and the only amphibian I know of that can tolerate brackish water is the Fowler's toad. Wouldn't be too good for your newts or frogs.

bettababy 10-30-2006 03:34 AM

I'd nix the crab idea, and the fish idea too. African clawed frogs get very large, about the size of a softball. They are very dirty and grow fast, and will eat anything that fits into their mouths. Watch the newts when the frogs get large, and keep up with frequent water exchanges. Adding a submersible filter will help.
The other thing that should be considered is that newts and frogs are both tropical, thus should have a heater, too. Mid 70's is best for them. Newts will need land and water, and tend to spend about equal amounts of time in them. Be sure the tank is well sealed, as newts are wonderful escape artists, and if they get out, they dry up quick, thus they die. African clawed frogs also tend to jump and climb, so well covered with these guys is a must unless the tank is extremely tall.

otis07 02-16-2007 08:20 PM

newt are toxic, so, no.

Zephyr 03-11-2007 06:14 PM

ACFs are vicious. However, the dwarf clawed frogs stay small and are very peaceful.