Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   New tank problems (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tank-problems-49194/)

split tank 08-11-2010 04:50 PM

New tank problems

Hi everyone, i am new to this forum and new to keeping fish.
I have a diy split level plywood/glass aquarium that i made myself i have had it up and running about 7 weeks now and i am having cloudy water problems.
It will be cloudy/milky water kind of on and off, one day it will be reasonably clear the next 2 days will be hard to see the back of the tank its been on and off for about 2 weeks!
and is getting quite annoying

Can anyone point me in the right direction in clearing the tank or do i just have to wait and wait??

about my set up....

360 ltr tank
aqua pro 2sp external filter with ceramic rings, filter sponges carbon bags and filter floss
JAD 1400 ltr/hour internal filter
Air stone in the deep end to aid with water circulation

i started out with 2 zebra danios, 2 mountain minnows and 2 scissor tails, my local aquarium store advised it would be a good idea to cycle the tank with these in.

I regularly tested the water and when the readings for ammonia and nitrites finally went to 0 i gradually added 1 plec , 3 small silver sharks, 2 clown loaches, 2 silver catfish and 1 gourami all seem to be doing fine apart from the cloudy water.

i was slow to start doing the water changes as i didnt realise i had to during the cycling so it was about the 3rd week in before the first water change, i now do about 20% once a week with the conditioner

i just want the tank to be nice to look at and not so foggy at the back!

sorry if i have missed important details out it is getting late for me

any help with the matter will be greatly appreciated
many thanks .
craig

kitten_penang 08-12-2010 01:18 AM

too may fish added at the same time will cause this as your filter cant handle the extra waste yet but that is normal or maybe it's just too fine particals that can't get stuck in the filter.

JohnnyD44 08-12-2010 05:40 AM

I agree that the tank may have been overloaded with too much waste to handle right away....that being said...

could you get a reading of your water? specifically ammonia and nitrates?
feeding schedule?
lighting schedule?

~ Johnny

split tank 08-12-2010 07:06 AM

Thanks for the replies,

The tank is quite bad again today i can only see detail on my fishes when they swim right up to the glass!:-?
ok so i did another water test it is the API test kit i am using with all the dropper bottles

Ammonia =0
nitrites =0
nitrates =40
ph = 8

is 40 about the limit for nitrates and should i do another water change right away?
also is the ph a little too high? i was originally testing ph using the first bottle which showed up as 7.6 but i used the high range ph bottle today and that comes up as 8

I read somewhere online someone having the same cloudy water problems for 3 weeks they got some gravel from an established tank and put it in theirs which cleared up the tank over night
i am thinking i should try the same ??
:|
craig

split tank 08-12-2010 07:29 AM

sorry forgot to say

i feed once a day for about 2-3 mins i dont over do it or let lots of uneaten food hit the bottom

lighting i have 2 x t8 38w bulbs which are on max ten hours, although for the past couple of days i have cut the lighting time down to 4 hours to see if it effects the cloudiness , but no change

any ideas?
thanks craig

OscarLoverJim 08-12-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by split tank (Post 445203)
Thanks for the replies,

The tank is quite bad again today i can only see detail on my fishes when they swim right up to the glass!:-?
ok so i did another water test it is the API test kit i am using with all the dropper bottles

Ammonia =0
nitrites =0
nitrates =40
ph = 8

is 40 about the limit for nitrates and should i do another water change right away?
also is the ph a little too high? i was originally testing ph using the first bottle which showed up as 7.6 but i used the high range ph bottle today and that comes up as 8

I read somewhere online someone having the same cloudy water problems for 3 weeks they got some gravel from an established tank and put it in theirs which cleared up the tank over night
i am thinking i should try the same ??
:|
craig

That use of gravel from an established tank might help if your new tank hasn't cycled but per your parameters it seems it has, Kitten Penang's suggestion would certainly be the most likely if not for your parameters especially with your saying the ammonia was originally higher as would be expected.

Yeah I keep my nitrates down around 20 with water changes.

I've had mystery cloud in my tanks in past, irritating ain't it? I'd suggest running carbon for awhile but see you are running it already. Your filtration seems good overall in fact.

split tank 08-12-2010 10:10 AM

yeah soooo frustrating,
im siphoning water out the tank now and because iv got 20 feet of hose going to the back garden its quite slow and not that efficient at sucking the dirty waste bits up, could this be where im going wrong ? its looking really dirty as i stir up the gravel:shock: if i siphon into a bucket at my feet its much more efficient and gets alot more waste out but it takes longer to do emptying the buckets out!:roll:

is it normal that under the gravel is quite dirty or could this well be the cause of the white cloudyness??

JohnnyD44 08-12-2010 10:17 AM

well, all the dirt and debris in your gravel is fish waste and excess food. This can lead to algae, but I don't think thats the issue at hand here.

40ppm is about the max I'd let my nitrates sit at. In my planted tank the nitrates are at 10ppm.

Out of curiousity, what are the a parameters of your tank?

PS - very unique tank!!! I've never seen anything like it.

split tank 08-12-2010 01:15 PM

Thanks, yeh i wanted something unique!
i am just hoping i didnt go to big for my first tank.

excuse me for being silly here but what do you mean by parameters?

OscarLoverJim 08-12-2010 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by split tank (Post 445433)
Thanks, yeh i wanted something unique!
i am just hoping i didnt go to big for my first tank.

excuse me for being silly here but what do you mean by parameters?

In general the bigger the better, the greater the tank size the greater the margin for error.

Parameters = ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, pH, temp., etc