Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   ugly gravel... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/ugly-gravel-4918/)

RubyWhisper 04-10-2007 11:05 PM

ugly gravel...

I just got my dads 40 gallon fully operating aquarium, saved a ton of time and money, but the gravel is sooo ugly. Is It safe to store the fish temporarily in baggies or tupperware while I scoop out the old stuff and change, or is there a better way to change it?

Thanks!

reverendred 04-10-2007 11:37 PM

whats it look like?

Daz 04-11-2007 02:15 AM

I have always just half emptied the tank of water and decorations, then got a childs plastic spade and scooped it out, yes maybe it stresses the fish a tad, but it's over a damn sight quicker than catching and bagging and probably a lot less stressful.

Amphitrite 04-11-2007 07:07 AM

Can I just add: if you do decide to replace the gravel, remember that the current gravel will hold a lot of beneficial bacteria in it.

I would recommend that you keep some of the old gravel at the back of the tank in a stocking or something for a while after putting the new gravel in.

saint 04-11-2007 09:03 AM

why is it ugly? is it some kind of flouro colour?

or is it a brown or black and you want to change it to a flouro colour.... lol :wink:

fish_4_all 04-11-2007 11:54 AM

Well one thing that can help is to tell us how the tank is filtered. If you have a lot of biological media in the filter then it could be safe to change all of the gravel at once. If not, sections of the gravel should be changed so you don't cause a mini cycle.

RubyWhisper 04-11-2007 03:29 PM

The gravel in now is realy bizzare, mostly blue, with green, red, and pink mixed in.

RubyWhisper 04-11-2007 03:31 PM

oh, and the filter is a tube sucking out water and running it through a blue mesh, then pouring it back out in a waterfall.

Sadie 04-11-2007 08:16 PM

When I was a teenager, my mom would put the fish in one of those chest style coolers without the lid for her yearly overhauls. She would put in enough tank water so everyone could move well. Then we would attack the tank in a pair to get it done quicker. If you have to remove the fish the cooler keeps the water warm longer and then when you are done you can scoop the water back in or just add new water to the tanklike you would for a normal water change.. Just make sure you rinse the cooler well (no detergents) prior to using it. When you are done make sure you clean the cooler well before you use it for food again.

Rue 04-12-2007 07:19 PM

I would scoop the existing gravel and put it in some pantihose...

...toss the rest...it sounds ugly! :shock: :lol:

Put down your new, well-rinsed gravel...put the the old stuff in the pantihose back in the tank (don't let it dry out)...and leave it there for a while...

Leave the fish in the tank...they'll be fine if you take your time...