Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Water Chemistry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/)
-   -   Kalwaser concern (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-chemistry/kalwaser-concern-49179/)

bearwithfish 08-11-2010 12:56 PM

Kalwaser concern

i started dosing Kalwaser 2 days ago as my Cal and Alk are both low i felt this was the way to go after much research and a few calls to people i know i build a 1 gallon drip and set it to 1 drop per 2-3 seconds and let it rock for a little over 24 hours when done i let it sit for another 4-5 hours and tested my water... no change from the last time i tested (before dosing)... i found this odd and as this actually put me over my comfort zone for water level in the sump i had a new plan and wanted to see what peoples thoughts were...
i am due for a water change in two days any how so i thought to do it early
instead of taking out 4 gallons and putting 4 gallons in i thought i would remove 6 gallons of slightly higher salinity then drip in 1 gallon of Kalwaser and test if still low drip in another gallon and test again
according to the three calculators i have used i am supposed to add 3 gallons so i was wondering if i should draw off 8 replace with 4 higher salinity and drip 3 (i am trying to get rid of a gallon of excess)

thoughts? ideas?

njudson 08-11-2010 02:28 PM

Do you have a test kit for Mag? before I got my Mag to 1350+ it seemed like my dosing for Alk and Ca didn't do anything. Also it seems fairly early for you to need to top off with Kalwaser is your system really using Alk and Ca that quickly?

bearwithfish 08-11-2010 02:39 PM

no actually my numbers have not moved over the last few weeks to a month i was under the impression this could be used to bring the numbers up to the desired levels
my cal is 360 i want 420 or so
my Alk is 8 dKH and i wanted to get to 10 or 11

njudson 08-11-2010 02:43 PM

Ah okay I think you are right that you can do that to bring your levels up to where you want them. I have zero experience using Kalw but I have read some about it. The Reef Crystals salt I'm using mixes up with such high Ca, Alk, etc concentrations I feel like I'm dosing the tank when I do a water change. very little need to supplement. Good luck with your tank Bear seems like its going well for you this time around :D

bearwithfish 08-11-2010 03:10 PM

thanks man it is going well .. just want to get the cal and alk up a bit and see if i get some better growth again demand is not high but i want the water right before i get stock that is going to suck it up like crazy LOL

reefsahoy 08-11-2010 05:25 PM

to be honest with you i dose kalk too but i also have a ca reactor to offset ph swings. at one time i use to dose just kalk but you need to pay attention to mg, and alk as well because they do all affect each other. one question i would have is where is your mg at? you can also use baking soda tobring alk up. go here and input your tank numbers select the product you are using to supplement and the site will calculate exactly what you need and how much to adjust for the 3 major additions to your tank. http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/reef-calculator. the calculations are very accurate when you tanke into account for displacement of water with live rock etc.

bearwithfish 08-11-2010 09:22 PM

thank you i will look at it but i wanted to give an update
1st i meed a mg test and one is not available in my area once i get a few other things settled i will order on line
2nd using three other calculators i determined that the following is the method i will use (did use)
draw off 8 gallons of water from the system
mixed 4 gallons of salt water and add it back in
mixed up two gallons of Kalk and add half on a fast drip (2.5 hours) and put the rest in at a slow drip as needed
needed one more gallon of water for the system to be where i wanted it so mixed on more gallon with heavy salinity
added it in to the system..
after 3 hours i tested my water and got the following resaults
PH - 8.6
Cal - 420 (YEAHHHHHH)
Alk - 10 (YEAHHHHHH)

so i turned off the slow drip and will now only add in kalwaser as needed for top off...
i will be testing these three things daily to ensure that i am not getting a first dose reading that falls off.... should this happen i will address it further....

thank you all for the help

BlueHalo 08-11-2010 09:39 PM

Kalkwasser is not intended to raise alk or cal, its to help maintain your levels, first get your alk/cal/mag/salinity to the levels you think you want them to be, then start dripping kalk, I use it as my top off water, it may possible start lowering your mg so do keep track

reefsahoy 08-11-2010 09:39 PM

fyi i use salifert mg test kit and i like it. it's easy to use and easy to read.

bearwithfish 08-13-2010 08:58 AM

BTW i am a self proclaimed stubborn PITB in case you did not know LOL but i am learning and by learning i mean take every ones advice mix it with the reading i have done and attempt the thing one time inthe safest way possible and se what happens.. if failure then i go back and learn more... this Cal and Alk issue being the newest addition to my learning...

i used vinegar to cut back the PH issue with using kalk and it was a good try but after 24 hours the levels dropped again so i will in fact take the advice you gave and go with a 2 part to get things in order... am buying the cal next Friday and as i have the baking soda i am all set there....
again i am learning some times i just need to attempt a thing once to get it out of my head...