Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Senegal Bichir compatible tankmate w/ current inhabitants? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/senegal-bichir-compatible-tankmate-w-current-49150/)

aunt kymmie 08-11-2010 12:52 AM

Senegal Bichir compatible tankmate w/ current inhabitants?

My two nephews are visiting and they so badly want to pick some fish for my new 75 gl set up. I reluctantly said yes. I know the youngest will end up opting for a discus for my discus tank once he sees what my LFS has to offer, which will be no problem.
I know the older one has his eye set on a bichir. My question is would a bichir be compatible with Denison Barbs, Congo Tetras, three SAE and an one ABN? The 75 is heavily planted, very well filtrated and has a pretty good current running through it, which all the current inhabitans enjoy.
I've read our fish profile on this fish and it seems it might be but wanted to make sure. Thoughts?
The visit to the LFS is tomorrow morning so it would be great if someone could chime in before then. Thanks!!

kitten_penang 08-11-2010 03:07 AM

umm heavily planted.how abut the bottom area they need al lot of space to swimm around and do not particular fond of friends down there either

1077 08-11-2010 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 444196)
My two nephews are visiting and they so badly want to pick some fish for my new 75 gl set up. I reluctantly said yes. I know the youngest will end up opting for a discus for my discus tank once he sees what my LFS has to offer, which will be no problem.
I know the older one has his eye set on a bichir. My question is would a bichir be compatible with Denison Barbs, Congo Tetras, three SAE and an one ABN? The 75 is heavily planted, very well filtrated and has a pretty good current running through it, which all the current inhabitans enjoy.
I've read our fish profile on this fish and it seems it might be but wanted to make sure. Thoughts?
The visit to the LFS is tomorrow morning so it would be great if someone could chime in before then. Thanks!!

Is said that these fish will eat whatever they can catch and fit in their mouths. I have known people who have kept these fish, and they often had to resort to feeding the fish with long forceps stuff like beef heart, worms,live crickets ,and bits of thawed frozen fish to keep them from wasting away.
Others claim that they have had no problems with getting the fish to eat prepared foods.
Lady at work once placed one in a tank that I helped her take care of and the fish quickly discovered an exit hole and was found laying on the floor one morning.
They are said to be peaceful with other fishes too large for them to eat but withv Red lines, I would be fearful that over time ,,they would become expensive snacks.

OscarLoverJim 08-11-2010 10:09 AM

I've had bichers. They WILL eat any fish, shrimp, etc that can fit in their mouths but they aren't fast fish and not highly motivated to chase things down, they are ambush hunters. I never had any problem feeding mine shrinking shrimp pellets, krill and they just loved those dried tubifex worm cubes (they tear the whole cube off the side of the tank and gulp it down).

They ARE escape artists so your tank lid has to cover every hole big enough for them to shimmy through.

aunt kymmie 08-11-2010 01:14 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I will have to opt out and hopefully my nephew will find something more appropriate for my tank so he won't be disappointed when "Aunt Kymmie" has to tell him no on the bichir. He wants something "eel" like so if I'm lucky he will find a group of kuhlis (or another type of loach) much more fascinating than a single bichir. Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it!