Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/)
-   -   Scientists uncover two kinds of weird walking fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-fish/scientists-uncover-two-kinds-weird-walking-49146/)

johneelock 08-10-2010 11:01 PM

Scientists uncover two kinds of weird walking fish

Scientists have uncovered two kinds of walking fish while testing the oily waters of the golf.it seems these fish live in the bottom of the sea and called bottom-dweller .its nice to see new species emerge hope they find more :-)

http://www.environmentteam.com/2010/...-walking-fish/

cheers

kitten_penang 08-11-2010 03:47 AM

this news is a silver lining on a storm cloud =)

sik80 08-11-2010 04:32 AM

my whiptail catfish looks like he's walking on the substrate as he uses his pectorals to drag himself about

johneelock 08-11-2010 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 444250)
this news is a silver lining on a storm cloud =)

true dat.. lets hope things turn up better soon..

Quote:

Originally Posted by sik80 (Post 444252)
my whiptail catfish looks like he's walking on the substrate as he uses his pectorals to drag himself about

well it seems like u have a witnessed a new discovery :lol:

dfbiggs 08-11-2010 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johneelock (Post 444171)
Scientists have uncovered two kinds of walking fish while testing the oily waters of the golf.it seems these fish live in the bottom of the sea and called bottom-dweller .its nice to see new species emerge hope they find more :-)

http://www.environmentteam.com/2010/...-walking-fish/

cheers

That is soo cool. It LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE A TRIOPS!! Sorry this is so exciting if you know the history of triops..they are prehistoric crustaceans and have been around millions of years..they have a remarkable survival system..

Thanks for sharing!

danielle

kitten_penang 08-11-2010 07:33 AM

yup i wish the best to the person who's trying to do the Noah ark thing in Florida.BP is an @ss not helping him with funds when they created the mess.sorry for the soft language. i just hate that fact that the oil rig was faulty and has a very bad rep of getting lit up all the time and yet they still let it function.

dfbiggs 08-11-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 444316)
yup i wish the best to the person who's trying to do the Noah ark thing in Florida.BP is an @ss not helping him with funds when they created the mess.sorry for the soft language. i just hate that fact that the oil rig was faulty and has a very bad rep of getting lit up all the time and yet they still let it function.

I don't watch the news anymore because it puts me in a bad mood..I haven't heard of Noah in FL but just wanted to say I watched a documentary a while back of some gov agency that has basically a noahs ark of all creatures (DNA & scientific components) in a huge facility incase something major happened to the world they would be able to create all the life over..now it seems stupid by them claiming that..there are so many things we haven't even discovered. have you seen this?

Good morning by the way penang!..

kitten_penang 08-11-2010 08:18 AM

lol yes i have read about it an it and here is the article.
Owners of a Northwest Florida marine lab are rushing to gather animals and bacteria from the Gulf of Mexicohttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adT...lass_10x10.gif, in anticipation of oil destroying the delicate ecosystem. The scientists are calling their project Noah’s Ark and collecting the samples will help speed up the recovery in the gulf.
It’s a battle against time for Marine Biologist Jack Rudloe, who is rushing to collect shrimp, oysters and anything else he can fit in a tank before the oil hits.
“The ability to even put back one or two, or two of everything else like that, may be absolutely futile but who knows.”
The project is called Noah’s Ark; Jack and his wife Anne have already collected dozens of animals in their Gulf Specimen Marine Lab at Panacea, Fl. But the lab doesn’t have enough room to hold the thousands of gallons of salt water needed to support the massive herding effort… and that’s not all that’s lacking.
Noah’s Ark will take lots of man hours and lots of money. The lab is asking for half a million dollars, but so far BP isn’t willing to pay. So the lab has spent 30-thousand of its own dollars to get the project moving by cleaning up this abandoned shrimp hatchery and pumping sea water from a mile away into huge tanks.
“The purpose of this is sustainability, to hold these things and then as needed and in the appropriate places, start releasing some of this stuff back into the environment.”
And while the focus is on protecting and preserving marine life research grinds to a halt, the lab ships gulf coast specimens to universities across the county, the backlog keeps building.
“So far this month we are running at about 50 percent below where we were last year, mostly because of orders like these that we could get if we could get to do it, but we are preparing for the oil spill instead.”
And right now there’s no guarantee the lab will get any help from BP to make up for the lost revenues. The Gulf Specimen Marine Lab began asking BP for money for the Noah’s Ark project on May 10th; so far their request has been ignored because it’s not a claim based on damage.

dfbiggs 08-11-2010 08:40 AM

Aw that is sad and unsettling...greedy& selfish oil tycoons.. i can't wait until we come up with a product that replaces oil...so much "bad" surrounds it. Well i tried to help..i donated to WWF so hopefully my contribution helped do something. Not much maybe save a bacteria..I can't imagine WWF getting enough donations to even come close to helping especially with the job problem here.

kitten_penang 08-11-2010 08:48 AM

you can join the wwf as a volunteer or join their online help support.they send you newsletters and ask you to help them by giving support on some issue and sending letters of support to important people and during the holiday seasons or holidays they have special things you can buy and the proceeds go to the foundation =) i joined the US and local WWF thats how i know ^.^