Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   QUESTIONS FROM A NOVICE AQUIST (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/questions-novice-aquist-4910/)

Howl52 04-10-2007 03:18 PM

QUESTIONS FROM A NOVICE AQUIST

Hey everyone I have a few questions.....
When I am breeding if I have lots of plants in my tank should I really have to take the fry out of my tank...
And what are some fun fish to breed!
TNKS!!!!! :shock:

Howl52

Rue 04-10-2007 05:45 PM

I'd start with guppies...

soco1125 04-11-2007 01:27 AM

zebra or leopard danios are good for beginner breeders too. i've had zebras breed in a (well-planted) community tank and a few fry survived to adulthood without any assistance from me.

fish_4_all 04-11-2007 11:40 AM

If you want to have a massive number survive, then oyu need to seperate the fry from the babies or the parent from the eggs. If you are only looking for 2-5 to survive here and there leave the parents in there.

Swords, plarries, guppies but get the fancy because the common breed way too fast. Danios are supposed to be easy and I think Killifish also.

Weasel F. 04-12-2007 06:02 PM

Apistogrammas all the way.

Lupin 04-12-2007 10:37 PM

Praecox rainbows.:lol: I've had mine spawn on daily basis for 3 months in my community until they suffer from Mycobacter.:shake:

Weasel F. 04-13-2007 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue
Praecox rainbows.:lol: I've had mine spawn on daily basis for 3 months in my community until they suffer from Mycobacter.:shake:

Ok I'd like to know your secret on those, LOL I tryed trio prs in 9 35g tank, Then in another 8 20g tanks and one 55g reverce trios { 2M/1F }. I had them that way for over 3yrs. With never a spawn. I tryed schools of 30+ in a 75g for 2yrs and got 2frys. But never more then 3 or 4 fry on both times. So please teach the teacher.
I'm now setting up a 2000g outdoor poud { If this freacking weather in Texas every goes back to spring.} to try and spawn betta Imbellis { because they will go with any coummitey fish} and rainbows. % differnt speices and just 6 of each speices. So any input on them I'd love to hear. Cause after setting up one the best home breding programs around and after 25yrs of breding fish. Those are the one goal I have set out to bred and never have. But I will this yr along with the bala shark. Figure them out. LOL

Lupin 04-13-2007 10:30 AM

Er...Weasel, I never had the intention to breed them at all.:quiet: I was just surprised to see them spawned and even more when I saw that they are doing it almost every night.:shock2: Had only one fry managed to survive the tankmates but it didn't lasted long.:shake:

Maybe you ought to leave them alone and pretend that nothing happened.:twisted: I just do 10-20% daily water change when they were alive last year.:) Also, I fed them with bloodworms, flakes, shrimp pellets, food tablets stuck to the glass and mosquito larva if that helps.:)

Good luck with yours, Weasel.:wave: I'm sure you'll be successful.:thumbsup:

herefishy 04-13-2007 02:11 PM

I would suggest just about any typeof live bearer as a good fish to start with. Many fish, cichlids, killies, some gouramis, require some sort of special conditions. Many fish are also predatory toward their young, pike live bearers being a good eggs-zample. lol. Many egg layers eat the eggs that they lay. While you may lose a few young due to the parents and other fish devouring them, a community tank is where I started and it was with black mollies. Good luck.

flatcam1 04-13-2007 06:25 PM

What about An Ancitrus species? maybe Sp 3?

i had mine in a tank and they bred in the space of the week! :shock:

I keep my fry in the tank. This is not the right option to perform if you are interested in keeping all of the fry alive.

Hope this helps! :D

Best regards, flatcam :D