Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   White Ribbon plant (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/white-ribbon-plant-49095/)

BradSD 08-10-2010 01:28 PM

White Ribbon plant

White Ribbon Plant or Dracaena Sanderiana- I purchased one of these on request from the petsmart guy however the more I read it seems that it may not be meant for being under water. It does say aquarium plant on the container but I do not read that on the web. Could someone who knows fill me in as I will return these if they are just going to die soon anyway. New to the planted aquarium, sorry! I will most certainly buy online and research the plants first in the future, this guy said he knew his plant and had grown these but I am wondering now.
He also sold me these:
Aqua Fern or Trichomanes javanicum
Wisteria or Hygrophila Difformis
Peacock Fern or Selaginella Wildenowii
Thanks,

Brad

Ulyaoth 08-10-2010 01:52 PM

I bought the same plant not knowing what it was a few months ago, and after about a week one of the 3 plants died, the others were turning translucent. I took them out when I found out they're not aquatic, and stuck them in a pot. They grew roots but haven't gotten much bigger still. I think they'll grow in water if the leaves are out at least.

Those others I haven't heard of other than wisteria which I'm pretty sure is fine.

There was a fern I bought, can't remember the name, think it was like borneo fern or something, that I put in as well that was fine for a month then started rotting away, again, has to have its leaves out of the water, got rid of that. Don't know if any of those other ferns you got are the same thing.

Byron 08-10-2010 01:56 PM

I noticed this in the photos yesterday in your other thread. Sorry, I forgot to mention it there.

Yes, Dracanea is a terrestrial plant; there are several varieties of house plant in this genus. Peter Hiscock says it will survive for several months submerged, then rot. It is best with the roots in water and the leaves in air, such as in a plaudarium or terrarium. It is most assuredly not an aquatic plant.

The grass plant you have in the photos is commonly called a Fountain Plant (due to the shape the leaves grow), or scientifically the genus Ophiopogon. Also not a true aquatic, but the species O. japonicus (which is the most commonly available) will, according to Hiscock, do better submerged. Some other species in the genus will also eventually die submerged, but he does not say that about this one.

It is regrettable that the chain stores seem to carry these types of plants predominantly, and of course in most cases they fail to properly advise customers. We live and learn.

The Wisteria is a true aquatic, a beautiful stem plant. Leaf shape is determined by the amount of light; lower light leaves will be less pinnate than in higher light.

BradSD 08-10-2010 02:28 PM

I was afraid of that, expressed my concerned at the store with there so called expert. I will give them a call to see if they will refund then put the funds towards the plants that you recommended to me in other thread. Thanks again guys!,