Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Is it weird that I want Algae in my tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/weird-i-want-algae-my-tank-49047/)

Inga 08-09-2010 09:14 PM

Is it weird that I want Algae in my tank?

Some of the most beautiful tanks that I have ever seen have some algae in them. I am of course talking about Fresh water tanks with stones, wood, pots with Algae growth. I would kind of like something like this
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/t...r_algae_14.jpg
on my clay pots in my tank.

Right now it seems that my fish are keeping my tank a bit too clean. I am not getting anything like this. I was told that once the tank is "aged, or seasoned" it would get algae growth on the wood and clay pots. Any idea how long that might take? Is there any way to promote certain kinds of algae growth while not allowing others? I know that might seem silly. I don't want the yucky brown algae I see on some tanks glass but this green fringe is sort of pretty. I think it is called Beard algae?

isimek 08-09-2010 10:05 PM

have you tried java moss?

kitten_penang 08-10-2010 01:05 PM

moss is better.if you want algea it's easy put the pot in the higer region of your tank and give it direct light.in no time you'll start seeing green

Inga 08-11-2010 07:47 PM

I am getting a little frustrated with the whole plant thing again. Until I get rid of my fish, I don't think I am going to be planting too many more plants. I am not sure I like the look of Java moss. I guess I would like to see more aquariums with it in them.

tanker 08-11-2010 08:05 PM

I have java moss in my aquariums. I just tied it to a piece of driftwood. You could give this a try and if you don't like it you can easily fish out the piece of wood and you'd be back to where you started.

kitten_penang 08-12-2010 01:12 AM

christmas moss looks good esp if you tie it to a twig like wood and make as if they were the leaves of the branches. =)

Inga 08-12-2010 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanker (Post 444901)
I have java moss in my aquariums. I just tied it to a piece of driftwood. You could give this a try and if you don't like it you can easily fish out the piece of wood and you'd be back to where you started.

Tanker can you post more pictures of your large tank? I would love to see that wooden tree looking piece close up. I can't see well enough in the picture you have on your aquarium profile. I LOVE IT from what I can see. Where in the world did you get something like that?

Oh, and you have wonderful tanks. Very well done! :-D

Kitten, I am going to look for some Christmas Moss, thanks.

tanker 08-12-2010 09:03 PM

I will post more pictures, but I found it difficult to get good photos. With the flash the colours look all wrong and the one so far looks a bit dark and eerie. I'll have a play and try to get some better photos. I'll also try to get some updated photos of my other tank now it's got real plants and not the plastic ones in the photos.

The wooden "tree" is a large piece of driftwood tied on top of a rock (it floats). I don't know what close-ups would look like - you can probably see the fishing line it's tied on with. I bought it at the shop. It's called "golden vine". They have some really nice pieces at the shop I go to.

tanker 08-13-2010 09:04 PM

I've put more photos up. They still aren't the greatest, but I'm not sure I can do better with my camera (or at all, I'm no photographer:-))

Inga 08-13-2010 09:58 PM

Thanks Tanker, they look great. I just love that drift wood, it has so much character. I know what you mean about the colors being off. Every time I take a picture of my tank it looks really light baby blue background and the plants look wrong in color as well. Even my fish are not colored well in photos. My Blue Gourami is stunning in real life and in photos looks plain Jane. My Shark looks Grey instead of Black too.

I did some rearranging of my tank tonight and it looks a little better but still not what I want. I was forced to do something because my Leporinus have eaten about 1/2 of my Rotala, 1/2 of my Cabomba and 3/4 of my Anacharis. I spread my Swords out to make it look like I have more plants and I moved my drift wood too. Now I think I need another piece but I wish I could find one that would sit upright better. Something with more Character, like yours.