Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   90G tank set up, equipment list and sumps (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/90g-tank-set-up-equipment-list-48950/)

DisneyCoralReef 08-08-2010 03:57 PM

90G tank set up, equipment list and sumps

I am so sorry for posting about this on here, as I'm sure it must have been posted so many times. I had started to buy some basic equipment to set up my first 75g saltwater tank, but ended up returning after talking to a pro through a different forum. I've decided that I am going to jump into setting up a 90g tank instead. I tried to use the search feature on here to search the answer before posting this thread. Ended up not being able to find the answer I needed but did get some information through google.

From the looks of it, I could set up a 90G tank without a sump, but there are specific skimmers?? (im still learning here, so pardon my confusion), that i need to set up? how much poorer of water quality am I going to work with if I dont set up a sump?

I have never set up a saltwater tank, let alone a sump and my knowledge on setting all this up is soooo basic. I want to make sure I do this right and not make some compulsive purchases.

I would also really appreciate some information on what you guys suggest for equipment for a 90G tank. My budget at this point is fairly open right now. I really would like to get the best equipment possible to help prevent having to replace equipment further down the road but also not buying everything at once as I my money tree isn't really....well...fruitful :lol:

Thanks for the help :-D

DisneyCoralReef 08-08-2010 04:07 PM

Forgot to add that at this point, that as I get the equipment and slowly put all this together, I am in no rush of adding fish. I want to make sure I put this tank together, have it cycle, get all the right gear, lighting etc, grown some coral etc then the adding of fish being the very very last thing to add. I dont want to add them until the tank has been well balanced and functioning well.

onefish2fish 08-08-2010 06:05 PM

well im really sorry this "pro" convince you into buying a 90 gallon tank over the 75. they are infact the same thing except the 90 is taller then the 75. the taller tank not getting the same light penetration the 75 would.
i dont mean to discourage you about that, as a 90 would work, but the 75 IMO is the better choice of the 2.

for starters, heres a good sump article to get you going
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/s...g-sumps-15930/

a sump is not a very hard thing to construct if you have minimal DIY skills and a spare fish tank to construct it from. to my knowledge there are no skimmers that hang on ( do not require a sump ) for a 90 gallon tank that are actually effective. a skimmer is a very important piece of equipment on a saltwater tank. some tend to be garbage while others worth their weight in gold. reading online reviews about skimmers from multiple sources is a good idea. to read more about saltwater filtration, you can do so here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/s...shwater-31955/
a sump isnt required, but adds to the over all water volume of the tank, so the bigger you can go, the better. sumps also provide a great place to put equipment, such as heaters, skimmers, and carbon/phosban reactors. you can also include a refugium ( which i suggest ) in your sump that has a macro algae ( i suggest chaeto ) and a clip on work light with a 6500K full spectrum bulb.

and finally heres a very basic general guide
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/s...t-water-19051/
more research and questions should come, and id be happy to help to my best ability. check your messages, at the top of the page. i also suggest searching in your area for a local reefing club.

reefsahoy 08-08-2010 06:17 PM

before starting a SW tank with corals try to decide what type of corals/reef you'd like to keep. This will and can determine the equipment you should get. if you are doing soft corals you typically don't need as much light as a lps or sps tank. you also don't need as powerful a skimmer either. That type of tank is alot more forgiving as far as error in keeping up water quality too. The middle of the road is lps type of corals. These corals need a little more intense lighting and a better skimmer The most demanding corals are the sps. IMO, you will need perfect water Q, high intense lighting, and one heck of a skimmer.

DisneyCoralReef 08-08-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefish2fish (Post 442340)
well im really sorry this "pro" convince you into buying a 90 gallon tank over the 75. they are infact the same thing except the 90 is taller then the 75. the taller tank not getting the same light penetration the 75 would. I dont mean to discourage you about that, as a 90 would work, but the 75 IMO is the better choice of the 2.

Not discouraging at all. That's exactly why I posted this here to hear what you guys have to say. I wanted some suggestion and advice and that's what you're arming me with. I should have posted about this sooner. I will look back into getting a 75g. Are there specific dimensions that I need to look at? I've just opened up all the links you've posted and going to head out and read them, pen and paper in tow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reefsahoy (Post 442346)
before starting a SW tank with corals try to decide what type of corals/reef you'd like to keep. This will and can determine the equipment you should get.

I had no idea corals were that specific to the equipment, lighting and water conditions you need to grow them successfully. Thank you for posting this. I will go head back into the coral section to see what I can learn and gather up for information.

I would absolutely love to get as much color as I can get into my tank with those corals. Not sure what type of corals I would need to look at to achieve this. If you know of some good links I can look at, I would be super thankful for the help. Going to google some information up if I can.

reefsahoy 08-08-2010 06:59 PM

IMO the best tank for a reef is a tank that had depth of field look, something 24 inches deep (not high). I've kept many reef tanks and i fiind that 24 to 30 inches works well for a couple of reasons. 1. it gives you options in aquascaping as opposed to a wall of rocks. 2. you get the full benefit of the spread of light in the tank. most refectors are designed for 24 to 30inches of coverage so if your tank is that wide you get the benefit of the light that is hitting everywhere so you can place corals anywhere in the tank and get light. 3. It also gives the corals space to grow so you will eventually get a more natural look to the tank if you aquascape with this in mind. My tank is 48" X 24" X 20" high. this for me is the perfect 48" wide tank because the 30" wide tank would take too much space where i sit my tank.

reefsahoy 08-08-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyCoralReef (Post 442360)
I had no idea corals were that specific to the equipment, lighting and water conditions you need to grow them successfully. Thank you for posting this. I will go head back into the coral section to see what I can learn and gather up for information.

I would absolutely love to get as much color as I can get into my tank with those corals. Not sure what type of corals I would need to look at to achieve this. If you know of some good links I can look at, I would be super thankful for the help. Going to google some information up if I can.

when i first started keeping a reef i wasn't aware of colorful soft corals or even lps for that matter. nowadats i see soft and lps with crazy colors! back then you had to keep sps if you wanted colors but nowadays you can keep any type and get great colors assuming your parameters are corret. with this in mind you still need to determine the type of tank you're going to keep cause this can determine your setup. for instance, if you decide you're keeping sps you will need INTENSE lighting. for a 75 gallon tank you will need a minimum of 6 x 54 watt T5 bulbs with all parabolic individual high quality fixture. if you want shimmering effect of the lighting i would recommend 2 X 250 MH + 2T5's for supplemental lighting. If you go with LPS or softies you could probably get away with 4XT5's.

DisneyCoralReef 08-10-2010 12:02 AM

Waw! talking about a lot of info eh. I guess Im going to have to go and read about corals and their care and maintenance and see what it is I can look into growing. I have zero knowledge about corals and definitely have no idea how to tell the difference between each of them.

I will admit the long tanks I have seen, seem more attractive to me anyways, mainly because as you posted it's not so much a wall of live rock you're looking at, but a much nicer looking set up. Having said that, what are you thoughts on corner tanks? we just discovered those this week and thought the idea was so neat. Those corner tanks really gave you that feel of actually having a piece of ocean in your home.

What are your thoughts with growing a reef, fish? Also do you suggestions for good info on corals?

This tank is absolutely stunning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snQMzZLu-ic

reefsahoy 08-10-2010 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyCoralReef (Post 443311)
Waw! talking about a lot of info eh. I guess Im going to have to go and read about corals and their care and maintenance and see what it is I can look into growing. I have zero knowledge about corals and definitely have no idea how to tell the difference between each of them.

I will admit the long tanks I have seen, seem more attractive to me anyways, mainly because as you posted it's not so much a wall of live rock you're looking at, but a much nicer looking set up. Having said that, what are you thoughts on corner tanks? we just discovered those this week and thought the idea was so neat. Those corner tanks really gave you that feel of actually having a piece of ocean in your home.

What are your thoughts with growing a reef, fish? Also do you suggestions for good info on corals?

This tank is absolutely stunning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snQMzZLu-ic

Corner tanks are nice but have a couple drawback and that is they tend to distort the vision into the tank and can be alittle more problematic to use a magnet on the glass for cleaning and scraping, other than that they can be pretty nice. Personally for me i perfer the rectangular or cube tanks and if you want to try to keep expenses down try to pick a tank that require only one MH bulb ( if that's your lighting selection).

When i first started out keeping aquariums i went to FOWLR and have never kept a FW tank. then i went into soft, lps, then sps corals. I've tried to quit several times but find that something in my life was missing until i started keeping an aquarium again. This hobby is an addiction for me and i do enjoy it much. There are times it can be a pain (like anything else) but overall i can't live without a tank. Now that i've gotten to a point where i can keep just about anything i try, i could never go back to FOWLR. Alot of the fun for me personally is the challenge that comes with keeping a tank. I've built and assembled alot of things to make my tank quite automated. All my supplements are added automatically, water topoff, lights, feeding is done automatically. I've met many freinds around the world using forums just like this one and when i visit their countries i get invited to see their setups and exchange ideas in the hobby. You know is an illness when the first thing you do when on vacation is look up aquarium buddies and find local stores to see ho they keep their tanks!

The tank you posted above is mainly LPS and Softies. Most hobbiest who start a SW tank tend to gravitate towards corals that sway in the current (ie softies and lps) until they get hooked to sps. Here's a few older pic of my tank

left side
http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/IMG_0138.jpg

right side

http://i892.photobucket.com/albums/a...0/IMG_0136.jpg

DisneyCoralReef 08-10-2010 10:21 AM

Outstanding! I will definitely be adding you to my private email list. Thanks aain for all the information and your honesty. On my way to work now but will be posting some questions that came up over night.
Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device