Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   my new tank...new to all this!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-new-tank-new-all-489/)

predator1984uk 09-15-2006 01:38 PM

my new tank...new to all this!!

yeah its a fresh water setup.no fish as yet as im still waiting to get the bacteria higher in the filter.i was told to wait 1-2 weeks.

is there anything i need to know.

its a 54 litre tank with pump,thermastat and filter.

i would like to know the correct ph?

what temperature the tank should be?

dprUsh83 09-15-2006 01:45 PM

The correct ph, temperature, and most other chemical elements will be dependent upon what type of fish you wish to put in your tank. What are you planning to put in there?

Also, Welcome! :P

Amphitrite 09-15-2006 03:40 PM

Also, what are you using to cycle the tank (i.e to build up the beneficial bacteria in the filter)?

Just leaving the tank standing for a couple of weeks will not achieve this. You will have to start the cycle using a souce of ammonia.

You are also going to need a testing kit which will test for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and pH. The liquid test kits are more reliable than other types, and what you're really looking for is a master test kit. Popular brands include Hagen and API.

As dprUsh83 stated, the ideal pH will depend on the type of fish you wish to keep, and the pH is likely to vary while the tank is cycling.

I would advise you to read up on cycling a tank (the nitrogen cycle).

It may seem a lot to take in at first, but it will all become clearer as you go along.

Any questions whatsoever, please just ask - we're all here to help.

Katherine

:)

predator1984uk 09-15-2006 05:28 PM

Quote:

You will have to start the cycle using a souce of ammonia.
how do i do this???

i will pick up some testing kits tomorrow

Amphitrite 09-15-2006 05:35 PM

You will have to add a certain amount of ammonia to the tank on a daily basis to cycle it. You can used Jeyes household ammonia (are you from the UK)? It's usually found in hardware stores or chemists.

I will dig out an article on exactly how to do it, and post it here tomorrow for you.

:)

predator1984uk 09-15-2006 05:39 PM

thanks very much,i mean that too.I dont wanna go putting aminals in the wrong enviroment as im a bit of a hippy lol

so once ive addded this amonia i have to check it to make sure its the right level for 2 weeks

Amphitrite 09-15-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator1984uk
thanks very much,i mean that too.I dont wanna go putting aminals in the wrong enviroment as im a bit of a hippy lol

so once ive addded this amonia i have to check it to make sure its the right level for 2 weeks

It's hard to say how long the cycle will take, but I think it can take anything up to a month.

This is where you have to be really patient, but it will pay off - believe me.

You check the water readings every day, and when the ammonia falls below a certain level you have to top it up again.

I can't remember enought detail to go into it fully now, but I will find reliable info for you by tomorrow.

Tracy 09-16-2006 12:10 AM

The temperature depends on the type of fish you will be keeping. Most tropical community fish will thrive in temperatures between 72F to 82F, but when you decide what kind of fish you want to have, do some research on them so that you know what they do best in. If do you decide to keep goldfish you do not need a heater because they thrive in temperatures between 65F and 75F (about 68F to 72F being ideal).

predator1984uk 09-16-2006 07:18 AM

no im defo going with fresh water

Lupin 09-16-2006 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predator1984uk
no im defo going with fresh water

I don't see any questions requiring that answer. :question:
If you have more questions, feel free to ask.:D