Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Finally! 20L :] (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/finally-20l-48884/)

doppsterjr 08-07-2010 04:39 PM

Finally! 20L :]

Wooo! Today my boyfriend bought me a brand new 20g long tank. :] He also got me a 100W heater and an aqueon quiet flow 20 filter. He didn't know what kind of gravel and other things I wanted for it so he held off on that. He's so sweet.

I can't wait to finally put my plans into action with plants and all new fish. I'm so excited.

Although I have one question.. Somewhere I heard that it's not a good idea to use a filter that has activated carbon in the cartridge with plants in the tank. Is this true?

zof 08-07-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doppsterjr (Post 441598)
Although I have one question.. Somewhere I heard that it's not a good idea to use a filter that has activated carbon in the cartridge with plants in the tank. Is this true?

True, the activated carbon will remove some heavy metals and other stuff that you add with fertilizer that the plants need. Save the activated carbon filter in case you ever have to medicate your tank for something and need to remove the medication.

Theres nothing like someone in your life that feeds your habit, might be a good or bad thing!

doppsterjr 08-07-2010 04:59 PM

So if I shouldn't use the cartridge the filter came with, what should I use as a substitute?

zof 08-07-2010 06:50 PM

Just get some filter material and cut it to size, this is the stuff I got, you can probably find the same stuff at your LFS. I have the aqueon filter too, just cut it to size of the blue thing that normally holds the filter.

doppsterjr 08-08-2010 12:00 AM

Well.. I don't have the luxury of an LFS store. I have Petsmart, Petco, and a couple local pet stores. =/
But I will definitely keep my eye out for something like that.
Thanks! I can't wait to get this tank up and running, but unfortunately I have to wait for the next paycheck. Soon though! Soon. :-D

doppsterjr 08-08-2010 01:54 AM

Also... One more question. I was planning on using sand as a substrate. I heard you are supposed to soak it in water for a day or so (or something of that nature) to get "floaties" out. This true? Just wondering.

Byron 08-08-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doppsterjr (Post 441969)
Also... One more question. I was planning on using sand as a substrate. I heard you are supposed to soak it in water for a day or so (or something of that nature) to get "floaties" out. This true? Just wondering.

Sand has to be washed, thoroughly. This is the most tedious part of setting up a tank, washing the gravel or sand. Put some in a pail, run water into it and swish it around, keep doing this until the runoff water is relatively clear. It will never be crystal clear. When the tank is filled, the particulate matter will settle out in a few days. Sand takes a lot more "rinsing" than gravel in my experience. I have sand in one tank, gravel in the other 5; I much prefer gravel.

What type of sand? Not all sand is good for planted tanks.

doppsterjr 08-08-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

What type of sand? Not all sand is good for planted tanks.
I think what my local store has is the Super Naturals or the Eco-Complete.
Posted via Mobile Device

Byron 08-08-2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doppsterjr (Post 442183)
I think what my local store has is the Super Naturals or the Eco-Complete.
Posted via Mobile Device

Those are fine. Common "sand" is where you have to be careful.

zof 08-08-2010 02:28 PM

I don't know if this works for stand, but the way I've figured out to clean gravel is cut the top of a 2 liter bottle then poke a bunch of small holes in the bottom of the bottle, fill with with gravel and run water over the top shaking it, and letting all the dirty water come out the holes in the bottom. You can probably do the same with sand, just have to find something to put in the bottom so the sand doesn't come out the holes, maybe a coffee filter or cheese cloth? Probably want to only fill it half way at a time so you can squeeze the bottle to keep the water flowing through the dense sand.