Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Cycling tank no 2 with media from tank no 1? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycling-tank-no-2-media-tank-48788/)

DizzyMoo 08-06-2010 09:42 AM

Cycling tank no 2 with media from tank no 1?

Hi all , just been given a 4ft tank free so after giving it a darn good cleaning i'm wondering exactly how i fishless cycle with media from my other 4ft tank, Do i squeeze the stuff into the new tank ... Do i split the media half n half or is there a different way you suggest?

Ive looked down this section but the articles on cycling dnt relate to using existing media so though id ask,

Thanks x

OscarLoverJim 08-06-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DizzyMoo (Post 440601)
Hi all , just been given a 4ft tank free so after giving it a darn good cleaning i'm wondering exactly how i fishless cycle with media from my other 4ft tank, Do i squeeze the stuff into the new tank ... Do i split the media half n half or is there a different way you suggest?

Ive looked down this section but the articles on cycling dnt relate to using existing media so though id ask,

Thanks x

You could add some of your old media into the media of a filter for your new tank (replace what's taken from the old filter with new media it won't take long to regrow). If you have multiple filters you could switch and old filter with a new between tanks (watch the old tank for ammonia spikes).

JohnnyD44 08-06-2010 10:11 AM

Like OscarLoverJim said, do you have multiple filters on your current tank?(tank1)

Here's how it can be done if you have multiple filters:

Tank 1 has filters AandB

Tank 2 has filter C

You can take filter B and put it onto tank 2, and put filter C on tank 1, so now...
Tank 1 has filter A and C
Tank 2 has filter B

This acheives two things...
1) You have a instant cycle on tank 2, because your using media from tank 1
2) while tank 2 is already running, filter C is running with filter A and will colonize off of it.....

If that doesn't work, or isn't feasbale, you can always take a meshbag full of gravel from tank1, and put it in a high current area of tank 2...this won't be an instant cycle, but it'll help jump start your tank

DizzyMoo 08-06-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD44 (Post 440620)
Like OscarLoverJim said, do you have multiple filters on your current tank?(tank1)

Here's how it can be done if you have multiple filters:

Tank 1 has filters AandB

Tank 2 has filter C

You can take filter B and put it onto tank 2, and put filter C on tank 1, so now...
Tank 1 has filter A and C
Tank 2 has filter B

This acheives two things...
1) You have a instant cycle on tank 2, because your using media from tank 1
2) while tank 2 is already running, filter C is running with filter A and will colonize off of it.....

If that doesn't work, or isn't feasbale, you can always take a meshbag full of gravel from tank1, and put it in a high current area of tank 2...this won't be an instant cycle, but it'll help jump start your tank

Perfect!
Thanks, This is what i was hoping to do , Wont be swapping the substrate as tank 1 has sand so bit difficult.
Would i still need to test for ammonia etc on tank 2 or would the tank be virtually fish ready? I'm in no rush but i know i get impatient if i see a fish i want & i'm currently deciding what to fill it with so would like it ready just in case .

Many thanks for the quick replies :) X

OscarLoverJim 08-06-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DizzyMoo (Post 440674)
Perfect!
Thanks, This is what i was hoping to do , Wont be swapping the substrate as tank 1 has sand so bit difficult.
Would i still need to test for ammonia etc on tank 2 or would the tank be virtually fish ready? I'm in no rush but i know i get impatient if i see a fish i want & i'm currently deciding what to fill it with so would like it ready just in case .
Many thanks for the quick replies :) X

Yeah I'd test the new tank, though you'll need an ammonia source for the nitrifying colony to grow, maybe get one fish of a hardy species?