Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Fish list questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/fish-list-questions-48767/)

GoneFishin 08-05-2010 10:27 PM

Fish list questions

First off, I have a 29 gallon planted tank. well not really planted, just have 2 swords at the moment.
Anyway, I want to list some fish that I want to get but am not sure if its gonna fit in my 29 gallon.

so here is the list:

False Julii cory x6 I know these like to be in large numbers, so I'm thinking this is ok.
Blue Delta Guppy (pair) x1
Red Cobra Delta Guppy (pair) x1
Orange sunshine guppy (pair) x1
Red Fire Guppy (pair) x1
Green Cobra Guppy (pair) x1
Ghost Shrimp x2

I would like to have more ghost shrimp, all the guppies come in pairs so a total of 10 guppies and I think they all can get up to 2 1/2". I want to avoid overstocking, but am not to sure what would put me over.

Byron 08-05-2010 11:58 PM

As it stands that's fine, but with all those guppy "pairs" you do realize you will have hundreds of fry regularly? And I mean, hundreds. And regularly.

GoneFishin 08-06-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 440454)
As it stands that's fine, but with all those guppy "pairs" you do realize you will have hundreds of fry regularly? And I mean, hundreds. And regularly.

yea i know, i have another 20 gallon that im gonna use for them. just wanted to make sure i would have the room in the main tank

kitten_penang 08-07-2010 02:12 AM

by the way if you want better stock don't mix the guppies they will mate with any female not just the ones you choose as their mates. and the ghost shrimp are a bad idead for guppies once they are fully grown, which is possible in your tank as there are no predators in it. they grow up to about 4 inches and the guppies are gonna suffer. btw have you cycled that tank.don't add them until it's fully cycled or the will suffer from fin-rot and die.

GoneFishin 08-07-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 441293)
by the way if you want better stock don't mix the guppies they will mate with any female not just the ones you choose as their mates. and the ghost shrimp are a bad idead for guppies once they are fully grown, which is possible in your tank as there are no predators in it. they grow up to about 4 inches and the guppies are gonna suffer. btw have you cycled that tank.don't add them until it's fully cycled or the will suffer from fin-rot and die.

Oh I'm not getting fish any time soon.. The tank is still cycling, but I am going to get more plants cause my tank looks like an underwater desert (if you can picture that lol)

Inga 08-07-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneFishin (Post 441545)
Oh I'm not getting fish any time soon.. The tank is still cycling, but I am going to get more plants cause my tank looks like an underwater desert (if you can picture that lol)

Nope, I can't imagine that. That is why I am waiting for the pictures. ;-)

Glad that you went with the Swords. I can't say enough good about mine. If you had asked me last week I would have told you how fabulous Anacharis is too as mine looked great. Actually it still does look great but it is floating again as my fish have learned to uproot it. They continue to pull up the Anacharis, Pennywort and Rotala. I am thinking of scooping it all out, calling it a loss and going to buy a half dozen more swords. It won't be the best aquascaped tank but it will be lower maintenance. lol

I heard that you can skip the cycle in a heavily planted tank. I wonder if that depends on which kind of fish you get? I know that 2 plants is not heavily planted but just thought I would mention that. Are you impressed with all that I have learned on this forum? ha ha

GoneFishin 08-07-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inga (Post 441631)
Nope, I can't imagine that. That is why I am waiting for the pictures. ;-)

Glad that you went with the Swords. I can't say enough good about mine. If you had asked me last week I would have told you how fabulous Anacharis is too as mine looked great. Actually it still does look great but it is floating again as my fish have learned to uproot it. They continue to pull up the Anacharis, Pennywort and Rotala. I am thinking of scooping it all out, calling it a loss and going to buy a half dozen more swords. It won't be the best aquascaped tank but it will be lower maintenance. lol

I heard that you can skip the cycle in a heavily planted tank. I wonder if that depends on which kind of fish you get? I know that 2 plants is not heavily planted but just thought I would mention that. Are you impressed with all that I have learned on this forum? ha ha

yea i am impressed lol.. haven't seen you in chat lately, I picked up some more plants tonight, 3 more swords and a sad little guy who looked healthy but when i went to plant it, all the leaves fell off :( Ill take some pics tonight and post them