Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Down sizing 55 gal to a 36 Bowfront? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/down-sizing-55-gal-36-bowfront-48741/)

eileen 08-05-2010 02:14 PM

Down sizing 55 gal to a 36 Bowfront?

I have a 55 gal. glass tank right now but plan on down sizing to a 30 gal. tank. I really like the new style bow front tanks they have now. I want to down size as next year I plan on moving into a smaller home. The 55 gal. only has 15 fish in it now. I plan on getting 1 angelfish next month and that will be all the fish for that tank. 5 Harlequen Rasboras, 5 Red Von Rio Congo Tetras, 2 yo yo loaches, 1 Bushy nosed pleco, 2 Wild Columbian Rams.

I was wondering if anyone out there has a Bowfront tank. Did you like it? Petsmart has a 36 gal. Bow front aquarium kit comes with everything, Aqueon 30 bio/filter, 200W heater, hood, light, water conditoner, fish food all for $169.99. I have a $10 off coupon good til 8-23 on $40 or more purchase and was thinking of getting this kit as it has everything. They also have just the 36 Bow front tank with hood & light for $119.99. I'm wondering if a standard tank stand will fit this bowfront or do you have to purchase a bow front stand? I'm not in a hurry for a new set up as we plan to sell our bigger home next year sometime. I've been looking at Craigslist for one. I only found 1 46 gal. bowfront for $150 with a stand which is a good price but is about the size I have now.If you have a bowfront tank let me now what you think. I can't decide on bowfront or just to go with a 30 gal. with stand.

Romad 08-05-2010 03:51 PM

i like the look of the bowfront too. however, i'm already maxed out on tank space in my brandy new home. it didn't take me long.

do you have a piece of furniture that you can sit the bowfront on so you don't have to worry about the stand?

eileen 08-05-2010 04:09 PM

No I don't. I read on-line somehere that a person bought a 46 gal. bowfront stand and the 36 gal. fits on that. I saw a stand for 35-55 that was only $69 at Walmart and it had a cabinet with a door and was Black in color. I'm sure that I will be able to find a stand if not a nice t.v stand that can hold the weight of the tank which is somewhere around 400lbs with water not to include rocks or sand I would like to put in. I still have alot of time to look around and I read on-line that that same bowfront tank kit at Petsmart was priced at $139 awhile back on sale. The $169.99 is the reg. price of the complete set up with out a stand.

Romad 08-05-2010 04:57 PM

that seems like a decent price for the stand. like you said, you have time to shop around.

good luck.

zof 08-05-2010 05:06 PM

I have that exact kit you are looking at and its been an ok tank, what I don't like about it so far is its reallllly deep so putting plants back in can be a pain, not to sure I like the curved glass so much because it dose distort the view of the fish a little, but to each their own. The heater I got with mine is not accurate as far as the dial goes, its set at 70 right now and actual tank temp is 78.5 +/- 1.5, the filter has done ok in fact it was a little to much flow for me so look at the DIY I just posted to fix that. The hood it comes with is nice, but be warned the bulb it comes with is 8000k so you will need to change that for the plants.

The water conditioner it comes with is only enough to treat 20 gallons, so just throw it away. It did come with a nice small container of flake food the same you would pick up for about 2-$3 (I think its like .5 ounces) plus another small bag of fish food.

Take a look at my posted aquarium, the pic is a little old but that's what mine looks like, you can see the little container of fish food it came with off to the bottom right. Ignore the pre-filter that's something I added in.

BTW I saw that kit in petsmart like a week ago for $149

eileen 08-05-2010 09:18 PM

Thanks for your input on the bowfront tank. I always upgrade the filter to a higher output anyways. I have a 75 gal. bio filter in my 55 gal. and the one I have is adjustable so you can adjust the water flow from high to low. I also like the heaters that are adjustable also with a dial. Maybe this tank is not what I should be looking at. i may just decide to get a reg. 30 gal. set up on craigslist that has a stand included and save me some $$$ in the long run.