Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   marine biology (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/marine-biology-4865/)

Enzo 04-09-2007 05:08 AM

marine biology

what classes are required in high school to go into marine biology

Falina 04-09-2007 09:20 AM

no idea in canada, however here in scotland you need sciencey subjects, for example physics and maths, thoguh i guess biology would be preferebale and just generally good grades in whatever else youre studying. a lot of courses here dont have very specific requirements as long as you have good grades and arent applying to do maths with highers in art, french, english and drama, or applying to art school with highers in maths, physics, chemistry, computing and biology or something sort of thing.

i take it thats what youre considering doing? good luck to you!

Enzo 04-09-2007 04:00 PM

yeah i saw i documentry on the gorgia aquarium and i realized thats what i want to do i have very little intrests pretty much just skateboarding and fish and ive always loved fish even when i had no tank so i new skateboarding would do so why not marine biology i could work with animals all day and even discover new speceis the average pay is $33.00 in america and its a fun job by the looks of it so im going for it and plus its a ticket out of the figgen cold candaian weather :)

Rue 04-09-2007 05:00 PM

Re: marine biology

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enzo
what classes are required in high school to go into marine biology

You'll need all your University entrance classes in math, biology, physics, chemistry and english...

No way around that! :D

Enzo 04-09-2007 07:46 PM

chemistry is easy stuff but physics is unbelievably hard and why would you need it anyways?

Rue 04-09-2007 09:39 PM

First of all you need it because 'they' say you need it. :lol:

Secondly...the basic principles of physics affect our daily lives...

Let's just look at fish...how do fish swim in a liquid medium? The answer? You'll need physics to explain it...

...how do fish 'feel' what's happening in the water around them? Lateral line organ...physics involved in explained how the lateral line organ interprets changes in water pressure/movement...

How do electric fish communicate with each other? Guess what you need a basic understanding of? Physics...

That's just off the top of my head...I'd have to review to answer you more fully...

GalaxyGirl 04-09-2007 10:09 PM

Do they have biology classes at your school? I am assuming so, but my friends from Canada have weird schedules and I dont think they are even taking science. If so, take the two highest you can, here it would be GATE and AP/ISP (or whatever the I program is). Next, physics is GREAT, chemisty is very important, math obviously, geometry! I think that is just what everyone is saying, but I really cant think of others. I dont know what part of Canada you are in, but you could also start volunteering at a local Aquarium or work there. Do you live near the ocean? They may have summer programs at the local University, or college. And yes I know I am rambling lol. Good luck:D

scottysgirl 04-10-2007 02:44 PM

EW! That's all I can say about physics, they make you take it for pre-vet but according to everyone I have ever talked to, unless you are an engineer you never use physics (at least not above what you are taught in math classes through calc). I love chem, but physics is boring, not hard, but dull and horrid! (sorry physics lovers :) )

Enzo 04-10-2007 04:52 PM

my school has physics bio chem but theres only been around 30 people or less who had graduated physics 30 with 80 plus in 20 yrs there and lets face it im not to bright but i am good at chem and im OK at math (now) i missed over 25 math classes because i had brain surgury for christmas and i still passed with 75% ( maricle) and it seems if i do take these classes i'll have all of grade 12 just doing science but i kinda think its worth it if i get to be around animals everyday

Rue 04-10-2007 05:30 PM

You really have to have some kind of idea of what kind of animals or research you want to do.

If you want to be a marine biologist...go for it! But know it's a min. of a 4-year degree. Once you have that, you're really only qualified to be a technician...which is what many people prefer. Even with a Masters, many end up working as technicians. If you want to plan research projects you need to have your Ph.D...

If you want to work with freshwater fish, you'll need a biology degree as well...