Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/)
-   -   LIVE VIDEO: Angelfish spawning! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-journals/live-video-angelfish-spawning-48638/)

LisaC144 08-03-2010 09:39 PM

LIVE VIDEO: Angelfish spawning!

Today I caught my freshwater Angelfish actively spawning in my 120g planted tank. They only spawned once before when they were in my 55g and I knew it was only a matter of time before they spawned in the 120g. The female had been carrying her eggs for about a week and I observed the male chasing her quite a bit these last few days..

I apologize for the noise in the background. This was my first time using my new camera for the video feature and I had a bit of a hard time with the auto focus. ENJOY!

tanker 08-03-2010 10:15 PM

Wow, that's fascinating. Gorgeous fish, they'll have good-looking babies.

Byron 08-03-2010 10:40 PM

Lovely, well done Lisa. And very beautiful fish indeed.

Byron.

bones14 08-03-2010 11:24 PM

Amazing video

fishyinpa 08-04-2010 09:53 AM

Thats cool. Cant wait to see your baby angelfish.

LisaC144 08-04-2010 10:10 AM

Unfortunately, it won't happen. I have tetras that love cavier and i'm sure the new loaches will too!! Last time they spawned, the eggs lasted about 4-5 days and made it to the "wiggler" stage. While feeding one evening, the tetras caught wind of the little wigglers and started having a field day. As soon as mom and dad noticed, they swam over and ate the remaining eggs. They would rather eat the eggs themselves then have other fish eat their eggs. I'm expecting the same thing to happen this time as well, but still quite a neat experience nonetheless.

tanker 08-04-2010 10:28 AM

Oh, that's a shame. After they went to so much trouble, too.

LisaC144 08-04-2010 10:39 AM

Now that they're a pair, they can spawn up to once or twice a month if the fry don't survive.

LisaC144 08-07-2010 07:41 AM

Shockingly, the eggs are still there! The female has now moved them twice. I thought they had gotten eaten the other day but then witnessed mom spitting them out onto a new leaf. I was able to watch her pick the eggs off the original leaf and spit them onto a new one. The male was at the new leaf catching any eggs that fell and placed them back on a new leaf. They're a good team :-) Another very cool experience to observe. Yesterday the female moved them for a second time. The eggs are wiggling like crazy. This spawn has made it much further along than they're first one. I think it's a combination of a 6 foot tank versus a four foot, the location of the eggs, and my feeding method. The eggs are at the very right side of the tank. There doesn't seem to be too much stress or aggression because the other fish still have plenty of room to swim. They also can't sneak attack from behind. As for feeding, I've been feeding at the left side of the tank then quickly try to feed mom and dad on the right where their eggs are. So far that has worked out. I'm not expecting fry to live, but mom and dad are determined to try.

One thing I did notice with both spawns is that they lay their eggs as far away from the spray bar as possible. In my 55g the spraybar was on the right and they laid they're eggs on the far left side. In my 120g the spraybar has been setup on the left side and they spawned on the far right side of the tank. This makes perfect sense since they come from very calm waters. It just goes to prove that a habitat closest to their natural environment is extremely important in successful fish keeping. Many on this forum stress this, and I can't stress it enough. Oddly enough, they spawned on the same plant they did in the 55g. I guess it was fortunate that I happen to put the same plant at opposite ends as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next couple days bring.
Posted via Mobile Device

tanker 08-07-2010 08:08 AM

Oh it'd be great if some fry managed to survive.:-)