Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   Neon Tetras Acting Weird (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/neon-tetras-acting-weird-48623/)

Welsh 08-03-2010 06:09 PM

Neon Tetras Acting Weird

Ok, so this is going to sound strange but all I can describe it as is that the tetras are stabbing the water with their noses, they can swim normal but seem to be facing downards at an angle and pecking the water. Is there something wrong?

Byron 08-03-2010 11:55 PM

Might be something, but not sure what at the moment. You say they can swim normally--how often do they? Are they coming to the surface to eat as usual?

What are the water parameters? Hardness, pH and temperature. And have you tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Byron.

sik80 08-04-2010 04:42 AM

i've had a similar problem with my neons. i assumed it was a swim bladder problem. i read around online and it was recommended to not feed them for 2 days, which solved my problem (or the problem solved itself).

Welsh 08-04-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 438940)
Might be something, but not sure what at the moment. You say they can swim normally--how often do they? Are they coming to the surface to eat as usual?

What are the water parameters? Hardness, pH and temperature. And have you tested for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Byron.

Quite a bit of the time they swim normal and they do come to the surface to eat.

pH - 7.4
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5

The temp I keep at a constant 80f

I took a closer look at them today and some of them seem to be really big, I don't overfeed but I also noticed that the tops of some have like a dusty colour to them, their overall colour seems fine though.

Byron 08-04-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welsh (Post 439372)
Quite a bit of the time they swim normal and they do come to the surface to eat.

pH - 7.4
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5

The temp I keep at a constant 80f

I took a closer look at them today and some of them seem to be really big, I don't overfeed but I also noticed that the tops of some have like a dusty colour to them, their overall colour seems fine though.

Neons will not last long at 80F, that's too warm. Is there a reason for this high a temp (like, gourami or something in the tank?) A tem at 75-77 is perfect for neons. If you have other "normal temp" tropicals 77 works, but I would not go higher. This may be the problem.

Welsh 08-05-2010 08:58 AM

Yeah, there are Female bettas in there too the tank has been setup with the temp at 80 for 5 months with the tetras in it. I was thinking that the "pecking" that their doing could just be at bugs :dunno: