Tropical Fish Keeping banner

SW Noob...24 gallon "All in One"

4K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Mrmofo 
#1 ·
I think these are commonly called Nano pods. The model that I just put on layaway has the built in filtration, powerhead, and four different lights ( I can't remember the wattage). I intend to add a heater, an internal uv sterilizer and one Hydor Koralia 1 powerhead. After a ton of research I think I'm on the right track with 40 pounds of live sand and 35 pounds of live rock. I want to cure both in the tank... allowing the sand and rock cycle the tank. I figure this should take 2 -4 weeks.

At that point, I want to add a False Clownfish, one firefish goby and one neon blue goby. In addition to a clean up crew .... thinking a couple of dwarf blue leg hermies and yellow tip hermies. Shrimp? Still undecided.

I've read a ton about the downside of these nano thing... but adding another large tank right now... I just don't have the room. Having kept FW Community tanks and African Cichlid tanks ( I had these two for over five years).. I know the importance of testing, water params, etc. I tend to micro manage my tanks... lol.

So.. this being my first excursion into the salt water world, I'd love to hear your comments on my plan for this first tank.
**edit**
Not sure if I'll need a protein skimmer.. any idea's?

Jen

See less See more
#2 ·
No need for UVS, use 2 maxijet 1200 powerheads in the tank, the light is powercompact im guessing? You could do better off getting the HQI nano set instead of the powercompact, but it all comes down to what corals you want. Cleanup crew seems good, start off with 5 snails and 5 hermits once cycling is over, if you still have algae add a bit more snails until you get it just right.

Protein skimmer, i would recommend one in this tank, dunno what are good brands though, dont get air-powered, i have an air powered and it is really bad.

#5 ·
perhaps I misunderstood, but did you say you wanted to buy uncured live rock and cure it yourself... in the tank... in the same place where you habitate and keep your stuff?

You may want to get some expert input from others here on buying cured rock vs curing it yourself. I've read that the curing process is an endeavor that'll have the police searching for dead bodies in your closets... and if you're married, get a comfortable sofa.

Even just having brought home empty conch shells from shell collecting dives, they had to go outside and stay there. Smelled like low tide by the docks.

Cured rock and sand will cycle the tank just fine without all the lawyers and death threats from the neighbors.

#9 ·
Rumply said:
perhaps I misunderstood, but did you say you wanted to buy uncured live rock and cure it yourself... in the tank... in the same place where you habitate and keep your stuff?
Um... yeah. I've talked to several people about this and I'm told that it's actually an acceptable practice.

Rumply said:
You may want to get some expert input from others here on buying cured rock vs curing it yourself. I've read that the curing process is an endeavor that'll have the police searching for dead bodies in your closets... and if you're married, get a comfortable sofa.
I always value expert advice... which is why I'm here at this forum. But...either uncured or pre-cured... after shipping it still will need to go through a curing process... right??? I would much rather it happen in tank... before I add the fish than to have to do it the hard way ... for example 30 gallon tub with a heater and 100% water changes twice weekly. I have no desire to do that when I can easily do it in tank and kill two birds with one stone WITHOUT killing any fish. If I was putting together a 300 gallon tank.. then it might be different.

Rumply said:
Cured rock and sand will cycle the tank just fine without all the lawyers and death threats from the neighbors.
Thank God, I own my home and the five acres that it sits on! :lol:

#10 ·
youtubefind said:
uncured is fine, its how i cycled my tank, plus i live in an apartment and never had any complains from the smells. The plus about cured rock is that it has a much larger variety of life.
I have no idea where I could get cured rock though. :? I'm just trying to come up with the best plan for what I can either get locally or have shipped in. Thanks!!

#11 ·
I'm spoiled I suppose... my local marine stores have rock that have gone through the curing already... I just go pick it up and take it home so no, there is no need to re-cure it. Course it is more expensive.

Like you said though.. cured rock can, if shipped improperly or delayed, become un-cured and have to be re-cured, so yeah, if you don't have a local fish store that can cure for you and have to have it shipped, you'll probably have to cure no matter what.

But yeah... it is perfectly fine to cure rock in your main aquarium... I wasn't trying to suggest there was anything wrong with it... just.. smelly. And in all honesty, the odor largely depends on how much dead life you have coming off the rocks, and how festidious you are about getting all that out of the water.

#12 ·
You will be fine placing your rock directly into the tank. It will not harm the inhabitants at a later date. You will benefit more from this anyways as your pods and plankton like critters will flourish in the predator free environment. You'll get a jumpstart on everything as not much activity goes on in dark trash can. such a small amount in that little tank shouldn't leave you looking for hotel rooms.

Keep your bioload tiny and plan to do weekly water changes and you won't need a skimmer. A little on the lazy side like 95% of us, get a skimmer to remove waste from the system completely and then plan on monthly partial water changes. Depending upon the model you buy it could be difficult to actually incorporate a skimmer into the design. The Red Sea Nano that was released has a small unit built in.

#13 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments and ideas. I have looked at the Red Sea Nano... wow! I love it! But for that price I could convert my 50g breeder tank into a salty. If I do that then I could go with an
AquaC Remora Protein Skimmer with Maxi-Jet 1200 Pump.

The thing I've noticed with the pod designs.. is there is little room for modifications. I'm still not sure how I would get a skimmer hooked to the one I put on layaway.

Seems like converting might be the way to go... plus it would give me more space to work with.

#14 ·
nanotuners.com

Type nano tuner into a search engine and you'll quickly be amazed.

People are building chillers and MH lighting directly into the old hoods. Way to many mods to decide what to do. Keep in mind that the most commonly tweaked units are the JBJ pods. They started and created the biotope design. Oceanic came on the scene a little later, followed by Current Aquapods, and now Red Sea. There are numerous other little brands inbetween as well. Choosing the right one can be just as difficult as designing your own tank.

My girl was going to buy me the Current Aquapod that came with a 250w halide built in. At first I loved that tank, but then I slowly realized it was just a plain old light fixture tossed over a 24g cube. Nothing much more special than that. When I thought about how many "nano" type fish were jumpers I quickly passed on that tank. It would have been great if I only wanted SPS and shrimp. I feel the Red Sea tank is really spot on for a clean look tank. Like you said it is, or is comparable, in price to building your own. It is intended for people that like that "clean look". Doctors office, tiny apt and don't want to see all that equipment or cords, etc..

#15 ·
fresh water n salt water both have the same ammonia, nitrates n nitrites.use some USED media from them and put it into the other filter to help.thats wat i did. u can buy chemicals that have nitrifying bacteria in them, when applying it, do it at the same time u put the media in, sprey some in there, and some in the water n u should be saving urself some time, ANY LFS has them im pretty sure...i use NitroBac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.