Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   cycling using freeze dried brine shrimp (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/cycling-using-freeze-dried-brine-shrimp-48459/)

WH2O 08-01-2010 03:13 PM

cycling using freeze dried brine shrimp

I am cycling my tank with half a prawn and despite the activated carbon, i smell a faint rotting smell that grosses me out.

I have sone freeze dried brine shrimp cubes that i can use instead that are one inch tall. will they smell too?
What is your input?

WH2O 08-01-2010 09:04 PM

I think the freeze dried foods will work better than flake foods as there is more organic matter. Is this true?

zof 08-01-2010 09:43 PM

Either should work, you'll have to find the right amount of each to put in, if I was going to do a fishless cycle I would just go with the pure ammonia, less chance of smell plus you don't have all the decaying food still in your tank when you go to add fish.

1077 08-02-2010 02:53 AM

Either or would work . I usually place the shrimp in a section of nylon with a small rock to hold it down. Usually about three small,uncooked ,raw shrimp per 30 gallons.
If smell is intolerable, then a small water change won't harm anything.
Once the tank reads zero for ammonia and nitrites,then remove the bag with the remains from shrimp and perform 70 to 80 percent water change with dechlorinator before adding fish.
Add a few fish at a time and allow a week in between new fishes.;-)

WH2O 08-03-2010 08:55 AM

The cocktail shrimp started to grow fungus through the pantyhose so i replaced it. Is there anything else i should do??

Also the brine shrimp were filtered out by the filter. I might replace the cocktail shrimp with three cubes of brine shrimp in a pantyhose. Im worried it might not make enough ammonia.

1077 08-03-2010 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WH2O (Post 438414)
The cocktail shrimp started to grow fungus through the pantyhose so i replaced it. Is there anything else i should do??

Also the brine shrimp were filtered out by the filter. I might replace the cocktail shrimp with three cubes of brine shrimp in a pantyhose. Im worried it might not make enough ammonia.

Fungus is bacteria working to digest the ammonia created by the deacying shrimp and normally there isn't much left at the end. wouldn't worry bout that which was filtered out for it is now caught in/on filter material and it too will provide source of food for bacteria.
You can have too much ammonia and cycling will take much longer. I would as mentioned ,use three small cocktail shrimp per 30 gallons and then all you do is wait until your test kit reads zero for ammonia and nitrites. At this point the nitrAte levels can be quite high and hence the needed 70 to 80 percent water change with new dechlorinated water before adding fish, and don't add too many at once.

WH2O 08-04-2010 04:49 PM

the replacement shrimp grew fungus overnight and the water itself stinks. It smells faintly like dirty horse stables. Is this to worry about???

WH2O 08-04-2010 06:49 PM

should i do anything?

1077 08-05-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WH2O (Post 439442)
should i do anything?

As mentioned earlier in this thread , all there is to do is wait and monitor the water with your test kit. In my expierience ,, Nitrites usually appear at around the two week mark and once they appear ,,nitrAtes are quick to follow while nitrites begin to fall off to zero.
As also mentioned,, if smell becomes too bad ,,then changing a small amount of water should help.
Would not clean or replace the filter material during this time or much beneficial bacteria can be destroyed and (cycling) will take longer.
If you wish not to continue with shrimp, then you could sprinkle a small amount of fish food into the tank once each day and beneficial bacteria will use this fish food for it's source of development.
A test kit during the (cycling) period is a useful tool and can help you determine at what stage the process is at. API freshwater Master kit is used by many .