Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Mid to top of the tank fish :) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/mid-top-tank-fish-4844/)

Dru 04-08-2007 08:24 AM

Mid to top of the tank fish :)

The cycle has finally run through on my tank (rio 125). On tuesday im going to buy some fish :lol:. I currently have some black neon tetras and cardinals (which are in my other tank). I was just wondering if you had any suggestions on some fish which would situate mid to top tank.

Cheers

Andrew

8)

Lupin 04-08-2007 08:27 AM

Hatchets or White Clouds for surface. More tetras for the mid level.:) What about the bottom?:)

Dru 04-08-2007 08:34 AM

I have seen a lovely albino plec. I also love those red torpedo barbs but my tank aint big enough :cry:. I quite fancy a fighter fish but ive had real trouble with them in the past.

Lupin 04-08-2007 09:07 AM

Be careful with the plecs.:) Most are quite large for your tank. Bristlenose and pitbull plecs will fit the tank.:) Fancy some otos? Cories? Kuhli loaches?

As for bettas, I don't think the betta's fins will remain in the same shape with the tetras in the same tank. Most tetras love to nip the betta's fins. Hatchets and white clouds on the other hand are excellent. Try penguin tetras. They stay on surface most of the time and although reasonably large(6-7 cm), they suit well in tanks often seen chasing each other and stalking insects crawling on the top rim of the tank.:) They don't jump. They just wait until insects fall to the water.

Pencilfish are also good additions and so are blue rams and apistogrammas. Female blue rams have pink bellies for added information. They are hardy once acclimatized and I prefer that you buy them last in the list as most don't do well in tanks at early stages.

Other tetras that can be taken into consideration are lemon tetras, rummy-nose tetras, red phantoms, black phantoms and glowlights. Rummies should be bought last. They are one of the most sensitive tetras and the red coloration on their wee heads serve as indicators of your water parameters. Anything off and the red color fades.

I would avoid the serpaes, red-eyes, Buenos Aires and black skirt tetras if I were you. They are not worth trying and I'd rather you be safe than sorry if these species begin wreaking havoc by nipping everyone's fins.

Good luck!

Dru 04-08-2007 10:55 AM

Thanks for that. how many fish do you think i could fit in my 125 l tank

Rue 04-08-2007 11:42 AM

Zebra danios are actually underrated...they stick mainly to the top and are very entertaining...always on the go...

They also look much nicer once they're settled in your tank...their colours come out more...there's also a long-finned and golden variety...

Dru 04-08-2007 02:00 PM

are dinos they shole fish?

Reun 04-08-2007 04:46 PM

danios are schooling fish...so are white cloud mountain minnows...and hatchets...and most of the smaller surface level fish.

I would fill out your schools of tetras, then add another school of surface level fish, or, you could always go with a couple gouramis...gouramis spend most of their time at the top of the tank, and make very nice centerpiece fish, they also tend to intimidate tetras and other schoolers, meaning the fish will stay in tighter schools, instead of them spreading everywhere. some of the show tanks I have seen around your size have a couple of moonlight gouramis and they accent the tank beautifully.

Be carefull if you get white cloud minnows though, because they like cooler temperatures, while most fish are comfertable at 75 degrees, they are comfertable more in the 65 degree range...they can survive temperatures up to 78 degrees, just dont expect them to live long.

as for bottom feeders, I would stay away from the larger plecos, they get way too big, they are also poop machines, it will outgrow or pollute your tank way too fast.

My suggestion if you want a pleco is to get the bristlenose variety, these only grow 4" or so, making them a little more managable in smaller tanks, and they are very common, most fish stores have them or can order them with ease.

also, to help keep the bottom of the tank clean, get a school of 7 or more corys, they will snarf up the left over food that sinks to the bottom and add some entertainment to the bottom of the tank. stick to the albino,bronze,or peppered cory varieties, much less finicky about water parameters and darn near bullet proof!

Dru 04-09-2007 06:40 AM

cheers :wink:

Reun 04-09-2007 05:39 PM

forget what i said about the school of corys, i just realised you rio 125 tank isnt 125 gallons...its 125 LITERS...my bad...

for what i said about adding a school of corys! i would keep only a school of 6 each of your tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco, and one beta or gourami...even at that you are pushing your tank to the limit, and I wouldnt add any more fish.

you will have to do at least a 25% water change once a week. sorry for the mis information :)