Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Saltwater Journals (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-journals/)
-   -   teddys new 20 gallon (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-journals/teddys-new-20-gallon-48416/)

teddyzaper 07-31-2010 08:36 PM

teddys new 20 gallon

so i decided not to go with saltwater with the 50 simply because of money, so i set up with the stuff i had, which cost me $0 in new supplys, pretty sweet cheap upgrade if u ask me :). so i started with 10lbs of live rock from my 10 gallon and i put it in. i then decided that i didnt want sand because the sand was blowing around and i dont like the look of it, so i left the sand in the 10gall. i decided to start using NSW which is natural salt water, i got it from the ocean. the beach i took it from has no boats for polution and is safe to eat inverts and clams from. i poured it through some cheese cloth which is fine cloth that will trap the smallest particles then i added it into the 20gallon. i waited for it to heat up then added the live rock and made a design. i then added some of the previous tanks water and hooked up all the electrical stuff like my pumps, lights and skimmer. i let it run for a bit, about 30min just to make sure everything was working correctly, then i took the corals and fish from the 10 gallon and put them into the 20 gallon. all i had was 2 mushrooms, some brown zoas, star polyps and a B&W clown (my other clown went carpet surfing :cry:). Yesterday i went to the over priced fish store with $70 in hand and chose some fish and corals. this guy usualy knows his stuff and i trust him pretty well, so i decided to get what he said would be fine. i got 2 heads of frogspawn, 1 small unknown anemone, a camel shrimp, a banded goby, and a pair of bluefin damsels. i later learned that the bluefins will become black and attack each other and other fish, so when they get bigger i will take them back.

anyways, ill be updating on everything interestin hopefully, and once my camera batery loads up ill be puting pics of the tank up.

bearwithfish 07-31-2010 10:22 PM

sweet deal Teddy - you of all of us know not to impulse buy LOL well i must admit i have been caught off guard a time or two my self .. glad you did the upgrade.... be careful with water from the coast. just because its "clean" does not mean contaminates can't travel from afar... and just because we can eat it does not make it good for our fish friends... any how can not wait for the pix bud keep us posted!!!

teddyzaper 08-01-2010 01:13 AM

srry, lights are off, pics tomorrow i promise :). i tested the water with all the test kits i own and all the ones the fish store has and it seems good. the salinity is 1.021 or something close to that, i dont remember perfectly, but the water was nice and clean. he also had a cool little instrument that measured gas and gas residue (stuff that comes from boats) and there is VERY little, he said it would have no effect on the water, and i believe him because he isnt gaining money by selling me something, but he does gain loyalty. anywho, everythings looking good and the goby now comes out so i can take a pic for an ID. the shrimp has found a small cave that he likes and i was watching and he grabed a piece of food from one of the damsels and like flared at him and it backed off, thats one BA shrimp :P

kitten_penang 08-01-2010 05:20 AM

tommorow?? thats today any pics yet?

teddyzaper 08-01-2010 05:42 AM

lol, not yet :P soon though, like after 10hrs of sleep then an office party.... :(

trukgirl 08-01-2010 03:11 PM

I demand pics!!!!

LOL J/K!!! Seriously though, pics are needed since this IS the pictures/video forum.... ;)

teddyzaper 08-02-2010 01:19 AM

dangit, my dad has my cammera... lol soon enough someones gonna put this post in the begginers section :P

teddyzaper 08-02-2010 11:34 PM

busy busy day, pics after i finish my essay..... :( i promise, i already took em just gotta download them

kitten_penang 08-03-2010 12:28 AM

wow hang over pics ^.^ hahahaha

teddyzaper 08-03-2010 01:14 AM

lol, only 14 here, so not yet, but getting there.... god summer school takes my life away. tomorrow i promise, or i will delete this post O.O lol.