Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Goby plecos. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/goby-plecos-48244/)

Ulyaoth 07-29-2010 05:15 PM

Goby plecos.

Went down to the other petco from what I've been going to the other day just to see what they had and pick up some test kits, and saw they had a bunch of types of plecos unlike just common like the other one had, figuring bristlenose would be too big as well as the other one they had that I can't get the name of I got a goby one which he said won't get bigger than 3". Just wondering if anyone's had them before and if they really will only get that big or if they'll go and get giant on me or anything. Also, do I need driftwood? I don't have any. Gotta say I do like him more than the Otos I tried a while ago, he acclimated right away and got to eating algae immediately, in almost a week he's already almost stripped the tank of algae and I think he's more interesting looking too. Also wondering if I should get another one, or can he be alone just fine? I mean he definitely doesn't seem stressed at all, even during the day he goes flying from one spot to the next scraping all the algae off.

Byron 07-30-2010 12:33 AM

Presumably this is Parotocinclus jumbo. The common name is somewhat misleading (as common names often are:-)) as this is not a true plecostomus; presumably the common name comes from the fact that this species tends to remain on the substrate more than others in the genera Otocinclus and Parotocinclus. The genus Parotocinclus is basically identical to Otocinclus, except the fish have an adipose fin (otos do not). This species attains 2 inches, and occurs in Brazil. There is discussion by Britski & Garavello [who described and named this species in 2002] that it belongs in another genus, but that needn't bother us here.

Like otos, they should be in groups, minimum 3. I would get two more for company, and they should settle in well.

They need algae at first, but will learn to feed from sinking tablets of algae/spirulina/kelp etc. same as other bottom fish.

Sounds like you got a healthy fish; these, like otos so often, arrive in poor shape and frequently die from starvation. I have had terrible luck with any of these "special" otos due to this. Good luck.

Byron.

Ulyaoth 08-13-2010 01:59 PM

Ok, the store has only had 1 more of them so I only have 2, they seem fine together, only problem is, they're out of diatoms, and don't seem to be getting too much of the green algae which is taking the place of the brown so I'm worried they're not eating enough, and they don't even look at the algae wafers. How long should it take to get them to eat those, or should I just figure they're fine if not eating them, since I know the store was feeding them the tablets.

Byron 08-13-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulyaoth (Post 446141)
Ok, the store has only had 1 more of them so I only have 2, they seem fine together, only problem is, they're out of diatoms, and don't seem to be getting too much of the green algae which is taking the place of the brown so I'm worried they're not eating enough, and they don't even look at the algae wafers. How long should it take to get them to eat those, or should I just figure they're fine if not eating them, since I know the store was feeding them the tablets.

Two suggestions. First, ensure this food is there in the evening when the lights go out. Fish frequently feed at dusk and dawn.

Second, feed a variety. I have 4 different sinking foods I use, two are veggie and two are shrimp and general. The catfish, pleco, otos all greedily feed from any of these.

I found my Farlowella took a few days after they basically eliminated the algae to twig on to the sinking food, but their hunger got the better of them and they found it; now they are down at the front every morning in anticipation, as are the otos.

Also try veggie matter; blanched (steamed) spinach, cucumber, zucchini are often recommended. You have to be careful with the spinach, if uneaten it can be quite messy; chunks of zucchini and cucumber are OK to leave for a day and night.