Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   10 gallon stocking(: (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/10-gallon-stocking-48218/)

mjbn 07-29-2010 10:19 AM

10 gallon stocking(:

Hey, i got a new 10 gallon and im gonna wait til it cycles to stock it but i wanna be ready when it is done. Heres my plan..

7 neon tetras
3 guppies (1M:2F:)

OR

5 Neons
5 White Clouds
1 Guppy

Im open to any other suggestions/tips. Let me know if my setups are fine, or if i should not do it. (: THANKS!

Winner 07-29-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjbn (Post 434828)
Hey, i got a new 10 gallon and im gonna wait til it cycles to stock it but i wanna be ready when it is done. Heres my plan..

7 neon tetras
3 guppies (1M:2F:)

OR

5 Neons
5 White Clouds
1 Guppy

Im open to any other suggestions/tips. Let me know if my setups are fine, or if i should not do it. (: THANKS!

I've had white clouds a long time ago when i was a kid- they like to swim fast at the top level of the tank with a lot of surface space. Some will tell you that they need at least 24" of tank length for this. (I did, I had a 20 long back then.) A standard 10 gallon is 20", I'd say it's okay for five WC but I just thought I'd give you the heads-up.

I've never had more than a single male guppy and have never done livebearer breeding, so I can't speak from experience on your first plan. But of course you'd end up with more offspring than you have space for in that 10 if you decided to keep them alive.

mjbn 07-29-2010 12:20 PM

I'm probably not gonna let the eggs hatch (maybe they'll eat the caviar they prepare? haha) but what im also skeptical about is the water params with the WCMM. People keep telling me that they can't live with neons and guppies cuz the temp and stuff. im planning on keeping the temp at 75. Would that not be fine with the WCMM?

iamgray 07-29-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjbn (Post 434903)
I'm probably not gonna let the eggs hatch (maybe they'll eat the caviar they prepare? haha)

Guppies don't lay eggs. They are livebearers. I have never bred them but from what i hear the female will eat the fry if they are not separated from the mother or are not provided with adequate hiding places.

redchigh 07-29-2010 01:51 PM

It's true about the WCMM's, they need a lower temperature since they're not tropical fish per se.
If you want WCMM, it can be done, but you would really need a devoted tank to them. (Or them with some other cold-water fish. NOT goldfish.)

As far as the guppies, there's no problem with having a tank full of males. The only problem to watch out for is having too few females. If you only have one or two, then the males will harass them to death.
A tank of all males has no problems though.

I would also find out what your tapwater Ph is before you try to stock. Livebearers prefer basic (high ph) while most of the others prefer acidic (lower ph)

I'll be able to offer lots of suggestions later, but I'm going to hold off until I know your Ph.
You don't want to choose fish, get the tank setup, and realise your ph is way too low. You'll be struggling forever to change it and probably kill fish in the process.
(Trust me, it happened to me.)

mjbn 07-29-2010 02:43 PM

Yeah, my pH is very high. High 7.0's and maybe even an 8.

Byron 07-29-2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjbn (Post 435026)
Yeah, my pH is very high. High 7.0's and maybe even an 8.

I would not suggest acidic water fish (like neons) with a pH close to 8. Livebearers will be perfect. And there are other fish that prefer basic harder water that are small. Have a look through the fish profiles (second tab from the left in the blue bar at the top), under cyprinids there are a couple and also under characins.

mjbn 07-29-2010 11:45 PM

dont mean to post this again since its on my other thread, but im thinking if not neons, then zebra danios. They seem pretty hardy and would be a nice addition right? how many do you think i can fit in the 10 gallon with 2 guppies?

Byron 07-30-2010 12:00 AM

I actually just replied to the other thread, but that's OK, I'll respond here just to have the answer in this thread. Zebra danio are fairly active swimmers and thus need space, and a 10g won't provide it. Aside from that, they would be fine in a group of 6+.