Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Need advice on action to be taken on a very preggo Lyretail Balloon Molly. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/need-advice-action-taken-very-preggo-48152/)

tomcatguy74 07-28-2010 05:44 PM

Need advice on action to be taken on a very preggo Lyretail Balloon Molly.

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all!

Okay so this is my first post and its about my new member of the family.
I used to be a big fish keepin guy but that was 20 years ago and I am married with kids and can olny have a 5 gallon aquarium. I have too much other hobby stuff and work and family things to do to get a bigger tank.

Ok, so here is the deal. I have purchased a pair of what the Petco guy calls Butterfly Mollies, however I have done some research and found that they don't exist so I am settling with "Lyretail Balloon Mollies".
Now the female is HUGE! I mean she is pretty darn close to bursting.
She has been chasing everyone around the tank but focusing mostly on the other Lyretail Balloon Molly, and I read somewhere that means she may be close to birthing the babies.

Now like I said I only have a 5 gallon tank, but I bought one of those small floating nurseries that has the "V" that you can insert.

Should I put her in it now or wait?

Here is a pic of her. I tried to resize it but its too difficult. She is at the top of the pic and to the right. Just look for the fatter fish.;-)

Any help would be appreciated. My kids really want babies.

Thanks

amberjade 07-28-2010 07:05 PM

You could try, but I've found that my fish don't do well in breeding traps - they abort. I have had GREAT success by having lots of plants, though. Floating plants are especially good.

Good luck!

tomcatguy74 07-28-2010 07:50 PM

Thanks Amberjade.

Is she going to be ok because she is chasing everyone away and just being kinda mean.
Also will she still give birth if it in a 5 gallon tank?

I guess if she stays in there I will have to watch closely and catch the babies and put them in the breeder.

Will the babies eat the flake food I give them if they are in the breeder?

amberjade 07-28-2010 10:21 PM

Mollies can get quite aggressive, I've found. I have a cranky dalmation....she chases everyone around the 40gal. But she doesn't hurt anyone. And she's fine. :)

Load up with plants - plastic are fine - which will help the others stay out of her way. I don't see why she wouldn't give birth even in a 5gal. As long as the water parameters are good, and the temp is right, odds are good that you will become a fishy daddy very soon.

All of my livebearers (platies, mollies and guppies) always drop their fry in the middle of the night, so I don't get to see it! Buggers! I let my fry free swim with the adults - otherwise I'll be overrun with fish! But, if you want to make sure you have survivors, catching them and putting them in the breeder for a while works fine. They will soon outgrow it, though, and it's really hard to keep them clean - can't get any water flow through them. See how you go. :)

The babies will happily eat crushed up flake food. I put some in a plastic bag and crush it up into a fine powder.

You might have to find a way to upsize your tank, though. There are going to be more babies in the future, and mollies actually get quite big.

Looking forward to baby news! :)

tomcatguy74 07-28-2010 11:20 PM

Thanks for all your help Amberjade. I am sure she and 'most' of her babies will be fine. I am just trying to keep her fed and happy. I just hope she does not literally pop. She is so fat she looks like a little toad when looking at her head on, no kidding!!! As far as upgrading to a bigger tank well I would have to convince the wife first.

I will keep you updated. She should have them pretty darn soon.

amberjade 07-29-2010 05:01 AM

Glad to share my experiences. :)

They get soooooooooooo big, don't they? And balloon mollies in particular look even bigger! But they don't burst - really! :) I know that my mollies, guppies and platies all get massive, and it's amazing that they can still swim. LOL

The fry are SO cute. All eyes! And it's fun watching them grow and develop their colours.

You know, you could always tell the wife that the living room would be much nicer with a 'living' piece of furniture...... ;-)

biokid101 07-29-2010 12:20 PM

its always hard to tell if a female balloon molly will give birth cause they r just normaly fat but that girl is HUGE and she wont be that long before she has babies.. plus it looks like she has that birthing tube which means that its almost time :)

tomcatguy74 07-29-2010 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, I went to the LPS and talked to guy there who seems to be really into fish and not a "sales guru". He showed me the Penn Plax Net Breeder and I told him its too big for my tank so he offered me these Aqua Plant Baby Hide-out things. Now he told me that I should let it float on the water, but don't most babies fall or high tail it to the floor of the aquarium instead of going up to the top? Should I split the pieces and put some on the top and some on the bottom?

Here is a pic of the baby hideouts

zof 07-29-2010 07:03 PM

When ever I've seen babies in my tank, they seem to want to stay towards the top but I don't have much floating cover so many of them end up at the bottom. I would leave it all as one big piece floating or maybe 2 big pieces floating.

tomcatguy74 07-29-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zof (Post 435251)
When ever I've seen babies in my tank, they seem to want to stay towards the top but I don't have much floating cover so many of them end up at the bottom. I would leave it all as one big piece floating or maybe 2 big pieces floating.

Well the tank is fresh and set up for babies. Hopefully
She will dump em out soon. I have just one of the baby hiding place plants in there floating so the kids have a secure place. I am contemplating putting the other one in at the bottom in the gravel.

Question, why does my preggo chase all the other fish in there and nip them. I have only read about the males chasing the preggo females around. Is she stressing? Should I be concerned? These babies have to come. My kids are so excited for it to happen.

Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device