Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Getting a larger tank- quick questions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/getting-larger-tank-quick-questions-48118/)

Andyandsue 07-28-2010 09:29 AM

Getting a larger tank- quick questions

Hello everyone, I haven't been here in a while!

I am combining three tanks into one, possibly this weekend. My kids each have a smaller tank in their rooms, and I have a larger tank in my kitchen. I'm tired of maintaining 3 tanks for years now, so we are buying one larger one and combing all three- yes, all fish are compatible.

I am wondering what you all think of this- my plan is to get the new tank set up using the old gravel and decorations so it is cycled. Any suggestions as to how I can do this neatly, and do you think it's ok to put the fish in immediately as long as the water temp is set exact? What if the gravel and moving of decorations make the water murky? Should I keep the fish in an aerated bucket for an hour while the filter runs? I'm thinking in the tropics if there is a storm the water would be more murky than some gunk on my gravel, but I thought I'd put it out there.

Also, I have a tank with a biowheel. If I were to get a new tank with a biowheel, should I try to get one that will fit the old biowheel since it is loaded with gunk (presumably good gunk), or will using a new biowheel cause a serious lack of bacteria? I'd like to get away from the biowheel to be honest, so opinions on that would be good too.

Thanks!

scalar 07-28-2010 09:54 AM

what size tank are you getting. are all the other tanks the same temp and water parimiters.

kitten_penang 07-28-2010 10:13 AM

firstly if all the fishes are going in you must put them together in a qt tank.although they are healthy your fishes might contain different bacteria or parasits as they were kept in different tanks. wash the gravel and deco throughly to lessen the murkyness in the main as gravels tend to keep debris.parasites, good and bad backteria too. if you want it to cycle faster use and old piece of washed sponge filter ( use water to clean only ).they contain the bacteria and it will propegate in the new tank.cycle for at least a week.to give time for the fishes to show any kind of diseas if any and for the tank to settle down. regular water changes maybe an everyday thing, 25% or more depending on whether the water is murky.check the parameters in the tank and make sure the fishes are at the same or lesser by a bit the same temp as the main tank before adding.if the tank is still a bit murky then you'll have to let it cycle till it's clear only then add the fish. hope this helps =)

1077 07-28-2010 10:16 AM

A cup full of gravel from one of the three tanks placed in the toe section of a pair of nylons would help seed the new tank with good bacteria. Stuffing some of the filter material from one of the three tanks into the filter of the new tank would also help considerably and allow you to place a few fish in the new tank straight away.
Decorations would also help, But if your plan is to use all the old gravel from the three tanks to make up the substrate for the new larger tank,,, I would warn you that once the old gravel is scooped out or disturbed to a large degree, the possibility for ammonia to be released from the substrate is entirely possible.
Were it me,, I would use the cup full of old gravel as mentioned, along with the borrowed filter material and decorations and I would go with new rinsed gravel for the new tank.8-)

jeaninel 07-28-2010 11:51 AM

What size will the new tank be? And what size tanks are your current ones? How many and what type of fish do you have?

I would do what 1077 suggested except I would just move the whole filter over from your kitchen tank to the new tank (in addition to stuffing with the old filter floss, decor and old gravel in the toe of a stocking). You definitely should use the old biowheel(s) which contain the beneficial bacteria to help cycle your tank. If you use a new biowheel you'll lose all that good bacteria. Run your old biowheel filter along with your new filter for a few weeks until the new filter can build up its own colony of BB. Test your water daily to watch for any spikes and do water changes as needed. If it were me and depending how many fish you're moving over I think I would just move the fish from the kitchen tank over at first, wait a week or so (depending on water parameters), then move the fish from one of the smaller tanks, wait a week, then move the final fish over.

Andyandsue 07-28-2010 11:57 AM

QT meaing quarantine? I am confused how I would quarantine fish like this when combining tanks? Pull a few out and put them together in a QT tank in stages, then transfer again? That sounds like a lot of stress to me, no? They have all been kept by me, using the same gravel and decorations to start each tank, not to mention these fish have been moved around from tank to tank over the years- at one point I rasied a bunch of zebra danios from eggs for the kids to watch, so we've been moving them around to get new fish, change it out, etc. All three tanks have the same params, temp, etc.

The new tank is probably going to be 26-28 gallons, combining a 12, 5, and 3 into one. Very friendly tank, zebra danios, golden white clouds, golden danios, rasboras, tetras, corys and 2 shrimp.

I'm not new at fishkeeping, I've set up about 5 tanks over the last 3+ years with only a few losses along the way, and never a loss during cycling, so I want to do this right. After reading all of this, I decided I am going to get new gravel, rinse the decorations lightly, and do the filter along with the gravel in the hose tricks. I will my fish slowly a few at a time, all while testing the params.

Any opinions on the Biowheel or lack thereof in a new tank?

Thank you!

I just saw what Jeaninel said- great idea, to run both filters. I've been having trouble with the one Eclipse filter making a mechanical noise, and since the kitchen tank has some scratches on it and what appear to be small cracks (there is a long thread about that somewhere on the forum from over a year ago!) I decided to just get the whole new set up. I think it most likely needs a new impellor but I don't want to pay for that when I'm unhappy with the current situation anyway. I can try to get the new tank going with it in addition to the new filter. Can I stick the old biowheel into a nylon also and let it hang in the tank if I don't get a biowheel with the new set up? Ideally I wanted to get a new tank and re-use the biowheel, which I think is an Eclipse I compatible, but I'm not finding anything that it can be used on.

aunt kymmie 07-28-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyandsue (Post 433893)
QT meaing quarantine? I am confused how I would quarantine fish like this when combining tanks? Pull a few out and put them together in a QT tank in stages, then transfer again? Can I stick the old biowheel into a nylon also and let it hang in the tank if I don't get a biowheel with the new set up? Ideally I wanted to get a new tank and re-use the biowheel, which I think is an Eclipse I compatible, but I'm not finding anything that it can be used on.

I can think of no reason for QT'ing these fish.
Hanging your biowheel in the new tank is a good idea.
I did that with one of my tanks when I did a "shift" over.

Andyandsue 07-28-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 433912)
I can think of no reason for QT'ing these fish.
Hanging your biowheel in the new tank is a good idea.
I did that with one of my tanks when I did a "shift" over.

Do you think the idea of moving them over one tank at a time a few days apart will be ok as long as I hang lots of gravel, re-use the decorations and filter floss, and test the water? Or is it going to take longer?

scalar 07-28-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyandsue (Post 434120)
Do you think the idea of moving them over one tank at a time a few days apart will be ok as long as I hang lots of gravel, re-use the decorations and filter floss, and test the water? Or is it going to take longer?

you will be fine i move on to bigger setups all the time.just use your old filter keep its wet and use some of the old water from the set ups. ive been through 8 tanks in 2 years never lost a fish from the moves.just use a little of the old substrait.

aunt kymmie 07-28-2010 11:19 PM

I agree, move over one tank at a time, maybe a few days apart. I, like Scalar, do this all the time too.