Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Beginner to planted aquariums. Please help. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/beginner-planted-aquariums-please-help-48094/)

midnray 07-27-2010 11:14 PM

Beginner to planted aquariums. Please help.

I just recently bought a 10 gallon aquarium starter kit. I want to start a planted aquarium and have had some trouble choosing a filter. The starter kit came with an Aqueon Power Filter 10 and was wondering if this would be better or equal to a sponge filter. I read that these are more desirable for planted aquariums. I plan on making a filter baffle for the power filter so that the surface tension of the water is not disrupted as much. I do not mind dishing out more money for a sponge filter since they are not expensive anyway but will there be a difference between the HOB power filter I have now. Also the power filter has activated carbon inside the actual filter which I also read is not good for plants. I plan on growing dwarf hairgrass with other plants which I have not really decided on. I want to achieve that green carpet look in my aquarium. Please help

onefish2fish 07-28-2010 09:14 AM

i think you could save a couple bucks and go with the filter you already have. what kind of baffle do you plan on making to slow flow?
if you take a knife/razor to the edge of the fabric and make a small slit you can drain the cabon out.
welcome to the forum.

midnray 07-28-2010 10:36 AM

I found a forum on here earlier with someone describing cutting a water bottle in half and placing it where the water comes out on the filter so it basically is forced to go the other direction where it hits the glass of the aquarium. I can't seem to find the forum any more but it is not hard to build anyway.

zof 07-28-2010 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midnray (Post 433857)
I found a forum on here earlier with someone describing cutting a water bottle in half and placing it where the water comes out on the filter so it basically is forced to go the other direction where it hits the glass of the aquarium. I can't seem to find the forum any more but it is not hard to build anyway.

hmmm I like this idea I have both the aquaeon 20 and I think its either a 30 or 40. The 20 in my 20 long seems to be quite subdued but the other filter on my 36g seems to blow the plants around a little to much right where the water comes out. I might have to try this.... let me know if you find the link.

I would suggest instead of cutting the carbon out you save that filter for if you ever have to use medication in your tank and need to get it out, you can just buy some cut your own filter pads for your filter (which is what I do)

Byron 07-28-2010 02:02 PM

Long-term you would be much better (and happier with the result) with a simple sponge filter. A HOB filter is not recommended for planted tanks unless you intend to have fish that require a water flow. In a 10g this is rather unlikely, so for the better health (less stress) of the fish and the better plant growth, get a sponge. I only use sponge filters on planted tanks under 55g. because they are the best for the job.

I explain the reasons in Part 3 of the series "A Basic Approach to the Natural Planted Aquarium" at the head of this section of the forum. You might want to give that a read; also the other parts will provide some background on this and that for a successful natural planted tank.

And, welcome to Troical Fish Keeping forum.

Byron.

midnray 07-28-2010 10:01 PM

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-baffle-30139/

That is the forum to creating a filter baffle. It's quite easy to make. Took me a little less than five minutes so its worth a try. I did not get any fish yet but it seems to work pretty well considering the water is not moving as much. And thank you guys for all the tips and if I have anymore questions I'll be sure to come back!:-)

redchigh 07-29-2010 02:26 PM

For fun, and as an added option, if you have a window that gets a little sun (northern or southern) then you could go with a soil substrate, which doesn't use a filter at all.

Just an idea.

I have a HOB filter in one tank, and all I do is fill the water level up really high so there's no splashing. Seems to improve circulation without making the current go 'downwards' from the top of the HOB.