Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Growing/fert suggestions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/growing-fert-suggestions-48069/)

outpost 07-27-2010 09:26 PM

Growing/fert suggestions

Hi all,
My ludwigia has a lot of brown diatoms on it and isn't really growing. Pretty much all of the diatoms are at the top. I was wondering if I should cut that part off and let it grow fresh??? (the diatoms aren't really spreading they are just there)
Also I got some seachem flourish today (AKA steak sauce, well to me it smells like I would put it on some tri-tip) and it says it is recommended that I refrigerate it. Should I?
Thanks Guys
-cade-

JohnnyD44 07-28-2010 07:07 AM

how long has your tank been established after the plants went in? diatoms are fairly common in a new set-up....

as for the refridgerating the fertilizer....i'm not sure...i have the same stuff, but I don't keep mine cold. doh! maybe I should be.....

LisaC144 07-28-2010 08:09 AM

I refrigerate my Flourish.

aunt kymmie 07-28-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaC144 (Post 433727)
I refrigerate my Flourish.

Me too. Go open the frig, Johnny.

JohnnyD44 07-28-2010 08:01 PM

I did as soon as I came home...my wife asked me "what in the world is fish fertilizer doing next to the ketchup?"

my response: "the same thing the cat food is doing next to coffee beans" hahaha

LisaC144 07-28-2010 08:03 PM

Hahaha. Be sure to let get know it's not fish fertilizer, it's plant fertilizer. No need to worry ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

JohnnyD44 07-28-2010 08:08 PM

I told her! haha

outpost - do your diatoms easily rub off? sort looks like cinnamon?

Inga 07-28-2010 08:31 PM

I learn something new on this forum every single day, which is great. I do however, sometimes feel pretty silly. That "Cinnamon looking stuff" that you guys are calling diatoms, well, I thought it was dust from adding the new eco-complete. So, now that I know that is not what it is, am I supposed to remove it or doesn't it matter? What is the most appropriate way to get rid of that stuff? It appears on the glass too, right?

outpost 07-28-2010 11:17 PM

Yes it does rub off. I will do that tomarrkw when the lights are on. I also did cut the ends off with the majority of the diatoms but hopeful on e the diatoms are off those they will continue to grow.
I just started dosing flourish complete yesterday. I'm getting a big plant order in(for a 10 gal) sometime this week. Should I dose once or twice a week?
Posted via Mobile Device

onefish2fish 07-29-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outpost (Post 434509)
Yes it does rub off. I will do that tomarrkw when the lights are on. I also did cut the ends off with the majority of the diatoms but hopeful on e the diatoms are off those they will continue to grow.
I just started dosing flourish complete yesterday. I'm getting a big plant order in(for a 10 gal) sometime this week. Should I dose once or twice a week?
Posted via Mobile Device

i personally would start once a week after your water change. i would even do less then what a single dose calls for. over time, if you see its needed you can always increase the dose.