Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Sick cory - any ideas anyone?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Amphitrite 
#1 ·
Just over a week ago, I lost one of my peppered corys. After water testing and looking at everything that 'might' have caused it, I put it down to 'one of those things' as the cory had shown no symptoms prior to his death.

Anyway, over the past few days another of my peppereds is causing me concern. He's developed a pink patch on one side of his body - which looks like a sore of some kind. Apart from the mark he is showing no signs of illness - digging about in the sand as usual and feeding well.

Water params fine: constant readings of ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5 and pH 6.8.

I've had this group of corys for around a year. Does anyone have any idea what this could be, and would melafix be my best option?

See less See more
#4 ·
mmm eyah thats possible too. try making it more detialed such as aquarium transactions (i.e. ading more fish water, andything that can be a variable on a parasites seeding). we should try to diagnose the illness find the source, treat the illness, then prevention tactics.

#5 ·
did the first cory that you lost have this mark on him? from the photo it looks like a sore, as if hes hurt himself against stones or an ornament or cave, in which case melafix would be your best bet as youll know.

ill keep my fingers crossed for you that its just a sore patch and he heals quickly rather than something they both have/had

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies. The first cory had no mark on him, and no sign of illness. He was fine at night, and when I got up in the morning he was dead.

I'm thinking it's some kind of parasite on this cory.

The last additions to the tank were two gold sevs approx 3 months ago. No other changes to the tank at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.