Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What is Your Substrate and How Deep is it? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-your-substrate-how-deep-4801/)

Andyandsue 04-06-2007 08:44 AM

What is Your Substrate and How Deep is it?

I have small gravel in a natural color and it's rather deep... a full inch, and in some spots (to anchor plants) maybe even 1 1/4.

I now think that is too deep, so I'm curious as to what everyone else has.

leifthebunny 04-06-2007 10:49 AM

For planted tanks, between 2" and 4" is good. On my first tank I did only 2" and think I should have put in more, just couldn't deal with cleaning more bags of flourite. :P

Rue 04-06-2007 11:35 AM

I haven't been able to find natural gravel...so I have expoy-coated stuff...

...but the community tank has whitish gravel...

...and I put black in with the goldfish...

...and I have just enough to cover the bottom...makes it easier to vacuum...

jones57742 04-06-2007 12:32 PM

In spite of a thorough research of the literature prior to reentering fish keeping after 35 years I still did not feel comfortable "setting up" my aquarium and paid a LFS to set it up for me (big, big time slobber up) but I believe my substrate is:

1) approximately 1" of uniformly graded coarse aggregate (appears to be 1/2") mixed with laterite [bottom course]

2) approximately 2" of uniformly graded fine aggregate (appears to be 1/4") mixed with laterite [middle course]

3) approximately 1" of uniformly graded coarse aggregate [surface course].

TR

St6_Devgru 04-06-2007 01:01 PM

mines is mini gravel about 3-3 1/2 inches deep. good for bottom but planning to add plant dirt for my plants on top

The-Wolf 04-06-2007 04:29 PM

3 of my tanks
pool filter sand at a depth of 1-3" (depends on the tank)

one tank 3-4mm peagravel at a depth of 1" at front to 3" at back
slate and mopani as a divider

last tank
mix of 2mm gravel and sand at a depth of 1.5"

Reun 04-06-2007 04:44 PM

natural river rock or polished natural rock is the safest to use, as the porous rock has a tendancy to store polutants and some of the rock can imbalance the ph and other chemicals in your tank.

I use a 1.75" mixture of .5" polished river rock mixed with smooth .1" rock. The substrate is perfect for my bottom feeders and creates a nice flat surface for them to grab food. the large gravel helps keep the smaller substrate from compacting and trapping debri.

ttmmm2001 04-06-2007 11:15 PM

I supose it depend on the size of your fish what kind of gravel to use. Little fish and get stuck if you use to large of a gravel.

I personally use a medium grain epoxy coated gravel and its probly an inch deep. ive heard a little deeper is better if you use alot of live plants that root in. Maybe 3 inches deep for them.