Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   little spec or white greyish matter in a trabsparent coating ???? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/little-spec-white-greyish-matter-trabsparent-48002/)

kitten_penang 07-27-2010 05:04 AM

little spec or white greyish matter in a trabsparent coating ????

these things are coating the inside of my aquarium wall and on the leaves of the plants.
couldn't get a picture as it's too tiny for the macro lens to focus and yet rough enough to be spotted by the human eye. any idea what it is and whether it's gonna cause problems??? a fungus or particle build up maybe. I use add clear in the aquarium but should't particals be imbeded into the sponge of the filter??

Byron 07-27-2010 10:08 AM

I can't be certain but I may have seen something like this on plants. I'll try to remember to take a look when the lights are on later. It was more than a year ago when I last thought of this, and nothing seems to have happened so presumably it was harmless. But again, not sure if this is what you refer to or something different.

I am very much more concerned over the "add clear" you mention. Assuming this is a water clarifier of some sort, this stuff is very stressful to fish. Most clarifiers work by binding together the minute almost invisible suspended particules so the filter media can remove them. Unfortunately, the chemicals in these products also bind together the fish's gills. They may not die from this, but it is highly stressful, like slow suffocation. I do not recommend using such products.

kitten_penang 07-27-2010 10:42 AM

now that you've told me about add clear i'm lucky i dosed the last bit into my aquarium when it was in it's 3 or 4 day of cycle.the water have since been changed so many numerous times i think i's quiet impossible i have that type of build up in the tank but i'm not sure whether these were stuck to the plant before and has not have the chance to un stuck themselves and flow into the filter =S it looks like debris of some kind and it's on the walls as well.like dust on the outside only they are inside the tank.

any ideas on whats causing the build up or do i need another water change? it reminds me the last time i did a water change it was crystal clear so to speak and the specks came back only after a few days.do you think bacterial build up or protein? i did siphon the very top layer of debris off the gravel but i din't stir it.

kitten_penang 07-27-2010 10:44 AM

and i added fertalizer for the plants.thats the only thing i added other then the normal nutrafin aqua plus and aquadin stress shield

Byron 07-27-2010 11:20 AM

Without seeing it I really can't suggest what it might be. It is not very likely to be fungus, that would grow in patches.

I suspect the water changes have solved the other issue. I used one of these products once in the past, and when I saw the reaction of the fish I realized it was causing them difficulty, so I did a major water change. Then subsequent research showed me how foolish I had been in using such a product.

Sadly, not everything even reputable aquarium manufacturers produce is without risk and some of it, like clarifiers, really do not belong in an aquarium. Algae and snail killers are another two; these chemicals can do far more harm to the fish, plants and biological system, while seldom really solving the initial problems anyway. Then there are so-called "sludge removers" and such; the claims they make to replace water changes and the like are really from another planet. My maxim now is that no chemicals or products enter the aquarium unless it is something that is absolutely crucial to the health of the fish, or is absolutely essential to the plants (like liquid fertilizer). Aquarists sometimes forget that fish are confined to the relatively small volume of water and cannot escape whatever goes into the tank.

kitten_penang 07-27-2010 11:47 AM

hmm.. my best shot but not permanent remedy would be a water change but i think it will be back in a few days.
did you leave it in your tank and they disapered by them selves?

kitten_penang 07-27-2010 11:58 AM

best i could get

1 Attachment(s)
pic.you need to zoom a bit.

Byron 07-27-2010 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 433015)
hmm.. my best shot but not permanent remedy would be a water change but i think it will be back in a few days.
did you leave it in your tank and they disapered by them selves?

I was referring to the water clear stuff re the water change. As for the white "things" I honestly can't remember, I just forgot about them months ago. As I said earlier, when the lights come on and I go in to feed them later I will look on the plants and see if I can spot what I saw back then--may or may not be the same thing anyway.

Ah, just remembered I did take some photos back when I had spotted some white dots. And, I still have them, so attached is a photo and on the small crypt plant leaves you can see white spots. This is what it looked like. If I remember correctly, some of the plants had it much heavier. No idea what it was, I forgot all about it. This was almost two years ago.

kitten_penang 07-27-2010 12:07 PM

looks different from my pic

Byron 07-27-2010 01:55 PM

I'm fairly certain that is just algae (hair is what I call it) with maybe some particles attached. I have this all the time. Not to worry.