Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Help me pick a couple or so fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/help-me-pick-couple-so-fish-47986/)

Tycoon 07-26-2010 09:24 PM

Help me pick a couple or so fish

I have a 29 gal tank and i wanna add a couple peaceful fish or maybe 3 that are about 2-3 inches long. I want really active ones that would roam around the tank and not just sit in one place for long periods of time like gbrs.

Heres what i have so far:

1 pearl gourami
8 neon tetras
5 cories

kitten_penang 07-27-2010 05:12 AM

research pearl gurami they are nippers it seems. tiger barb maybe ?? (they are aggressive nippers too) maybe it's a bad idea.ummm......platies would be nice

Inga 07-27-2010 05:51 AM

If you have a good filter, maybe a couple of small plants, I think 5 Tiger Barbs would be a nice addition to your tank. They are funny little fish, very active and slightly naughty among themselves. I have them and they keep me entertained with their antics.

In a group, they just chase each other but never do any damage. They just remind me of little kids that are friends but alway bickering but they love each other.

That would of course depend on the dimensions of your tank, they do need swimming room so a shorter long tank would be better for them then a tall narrow tank.

Byron 07-27-2010 10:18 AM

I cannot agree with Tiger Barbs. This is asking for trouble. These fish should never be kept in groups smaller than 8, and never in a tank less than 30g provided they are the only fish in the aquarium. Tankmates must be carefully chosen, and should never include sedate or long-fin fish such as gourami. At least a 4-foot tank is needed if Tiger Barb is to be kept with any other fish, and again onlyin a group of 8 or (preferably) more.

We have fish profiles on this site, they contain proven information on the species. Please read them.

JohnnyD44 07-27-2010 10:25 AM

I agree with Byron...

have you considered another school of tetras? I have multiple schools of tetras in my 55G tank, all the color contrast and the plants looks great, IMO.

eileen 07-27-2010 11:26 AM

I have 2 schools of tetras in my 55 gal. community tank. 5 Harleqen Rasboras which I have had for a long time and these I like because they are very hardy for a tetra. I also have 5 Von Rio Orange Congo tetras but I bought 12 to start and only have 5 left not so hardy. The Harleqens would look nice with your neon tetras or even a glow-light tetra as they have that orange neon glow to them. The 2 different schools will not school together if you are wondering.

Oldman47 07-29-2010 08:39 PM

I seem to remember Tycoon asking for peaceful. Forget the tiger barbs entirely. They are far from peaceful. You might look at platies or swordtails for active middle swimming fish about the right size. Mollies are my own favorite common fish in that size but they are not always good fish for a beginner due to their water requirements. Mine thrive but I am finding that I am the exception, not the rule with mollies.