Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   blue rams causing chaos (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/blue-rams-causing-chaos-4798/)

Falina 04-06-2007 04:58 AM

blue rams causing chaos

i bought 3 blue rams a few weeks ago, and then had white spot in my tank so one died. while they were sick they were very peaceful but now that they are well they're really causing problems. the more dominant ram has been bullying the other one quite badly. he wont let him get any food or anything. just chases him away all the time. and whenever they are just swimming about the dominant ram is always a few cm behind the other. the result is that my ram has become very stressed, and has become VERY black. whenever the ram is hiding the dominant ram bullies the other fish in the tank (mainly the mollies) and stresses them.

i put the dominant ram in a breeder floating thing for a few hours to see what would happen. the 2 rams keep trying to fight through the plastic, and whenever they arent fighting the ram who was orinally stressed and bulied, is bullying my mollies.

what should i do? should i return them to the lfs? should i return them seperately or together? it seems that it doesnt matter which one i keep in the tank, or whether they are together or not they buully each other / my other fish.

i really dont want to return them because im really fond of them, but i cant have all my fish stressed and upset because of them. im also worried that the non-dominant one will starve if theyre both let out together because the dominant one never lets him eat ANYTHIGN

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Lupin 04-06-2007 06:56 AM

I'd be careful with two rams of the same gender. If this is your 35 gallons, try adding more plants and caves. The other option is to trade one of your males with a female.

Falina 04-06-2007 07:04 AM

thanks blue

it is my 35g and i have a lot of plants and hiding places as it is and my synodontis wont let anyone else in the caves. she hunts anyone that comes near. would trading one of the males with a female make the males stop bullying my mollies? even when there was just the one ram he still bullied the mollies.

Lupin 04-06-2007 07:11 AM

Synos and rams should never be mixed.:) Your rams are better off in a place where they are the dominant fish. Your rams resort to bullying as it appears they are fighting a losing battle to occupy an area where they can defend each other's territory. On the other hand, a female ram is better than a male ram. There will be bickerings but this will at least be toned down.:) Males tend to spar against each other(even females do) in their attempt to defend their territory and show who should be more dominant.

HTH

Falina 04-06-2007 07:19 AM

HTH??

thanks again blue

its down to lfs with the rams then :cry: hate returning them but cher (syno) comes first as she was here the longest, and shes one of my favourites.

Lupin 04-06-2007 07:22 AM

HTH-Hope that helps.:)