Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Summer Heat Wave issue (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/summer-heat-wave-issue-47829/)

TexasTanker 07-24-2010 09:07 PM

Summer Heat Wave issue

I have a 55 gallon tropical community that is stocked with z. Danios, gold Guarami, platy and emerald cory cats. There is also a Betta in a divider.

The problem is my AC went out earlier this week and in the span of five hours the tank jumped from 82 (high compared to normal) to over 95 degrees. I lost half my stock.

Okay so got AC "fixed" only to have it go out again today. I caught it before the house got too hot and have been monitoring the temp. I put a fan over it but the evaporation in insane. About 2 inches already. SOOOO I have to run the hoses and refill anyhow.

Question. The AC was supposedly fixed, but is not keeping the house cool and there is no way I'm going to get this fixed before tues. wednesday. I would like to avoid another temp hike and mass death, but the rate of evap is so quick that I'm gonna have a hose run to it 24/7.

What are my options for maintaining a cooler temp that doesn't not involve balancing an electrical appliance on the edge, where any number of the other critters could knock it in? I'm thinking a four day low cost fix.

Byron 07-25-2010 12:46 AM

Open the cover and direct a fan across the surface (as long as you don't have fish that may jump--they will). I do not recommend frequent water changes as this means constant fluctuating temperatures. Some float bags of ice, you wilkl need lots of ice. And a chiller of course, that refrigerates rather than heats water, is an expensive option.

Ensure there is good flow, even adding an airstone or two; the warmer the water the less oxygen it holds so maintaining good flow and surface disturbance in this emergency is wise.

1077 07-25-2010 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasTanker (Post 430928)
I have a 55 gallon tropical community that is stocked with z. Danios, gold Guarami, platy and emerald cory cats. There is also a Betta in a divider.

The problem is my AC went out earlier this week and in the span of five hours the tank jumped from 82 (high compared to normal) to over 95 degrees. I lost half my stock.

Okay so got AC "fixed" only to have it go out again today. I caught it before the house got too hot and have been monitoring the temp. I put a fan over it but the evaporation in insane. About 2 inches already. SOOOO I have to run the hoses and refill anyhow.

Question. The AC was supposedly fixed, but is not keeping the house cool and there is no way I'm going to get this fixed before tues. wednesday. I would like to avoid another temp hike and mass death, but the rate of evap is so quick that I'm gonna have a hose run to it 24/7.

What are my options for maintaining a cooler temp that doesn't not involve balancing an electrical appliance on the edge, where any number of the other critters could knock it in? I'm thinking a four day low cost fix.

Empty 2 Litre jugs filled with water and then frozen can then be placed in the tank to cool water.
Can't imagine how warm it must be in the house and hope the AC is fixed soon.
Platys, and cory's would both fair poorly in the long run even at 82 degrees that your tank normally runs at.
I might also consider filling a couple five gallon buckets or jugs with dechlorinated water and set them near the tank. jugs would keep "critters " out and top offs would be a bit easier.

TexasTanker 07-25-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 431054)
Platys, and cory's would both fair poorly in the long run even at 82 degrees that your tank normally runs at.

This is the temp it was that morning. Ideally i keep it at 78, but even before it crapped out the AC wasn't compensating completely and the temp would go up during the day... in spite of limiting access to direct sun, having a fan circulating air and having the heater all the way off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 431054)
I might also consider filling a couple five gallon buckets or jugs with dechlorinated water and set them near the tank. jugs would keep "critters " out and top offs would be a bit easier.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this? I can't leave the top of the tank open (even an inch) because the kittens will go swimming. I've pulled on of them out twice already. And I do have jumpers. I have a hose system that takes about 30 seconds to set up. Buckets aren't gonna happen. I'm in no shape to handle them right now.

I'm currently have those blue frozen lunch box coolers in the filters. Hasn't affected the water flow and the temp is down to 79 after 12 hours. This seems to be working and only requires a fresh cooler at around 10 AM and 5 PM.

WisFish 07-25-2010 05:42 PM

If the air temp is higher than the water temp., adding a fan above the tank will actually help the water to heat up faster. Remember, water in the tank and everything in the house will try to get to the same temp as the air. Air movement only speeds up that process.

A chiller is the best long term solution but expensive. Bag of ice or the blue freeze pacs sound like your only options.