Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking 10 gallon aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-10-gallon-aquarium-47630/)

iamgray 07-21-2010 11:42 PM

Stocking 10 gallon aquarium

I posted this information/question in another thread that I made, but i thought it doesn't really fit with what I was asking in my other thread so I'm re-posting it here...

Water info:

GH = 120
KH = 40-80
pH = 7.5
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20
Ammonia = 0

The temperature is kept around 72-74 F.

I have a female guppy that I suspect is pregnant. If fry survive, I would only keep females. Now... I have a list of other fish in mind, in the order that I would add them.... 3 x Zebra Danio, 1 oto, 1 betta, 3 x Cardinal Tetra, 1 African Dwarf Frog.

Is that too much for a 10 gallon tank? If I were to remove anything from the list, I would start from the bottom of the list and work my way up. or if I have 3 too many fish... I'd leave out either the danios or the tetras. If the numbers are ok... can anyone see any issues with keeping those particular fish in a tank together? I'm mostly concerned about the betta... I've read and heard mixed answers about whether or not they can be kept with other fish. an office-mate has a betta with an oto and they just ignore each other...

Nicknac44 07-22-2010 11:44 AM

I would be wary of getting a male betta with that many fish in that small of an aquarium. I have had close to this same same set up and i think my betta didnt have enough room, so he made room for himself.

If you are set on a betta I (out of personal preference) would rather have a female. I have had 5 different betta females mixed in with my community tanks in the past and had great results.

So maybe I just had a bad experience and maybe someone else can shead some more light on the subject, but here is my 2 cents! :-D

Tyyrlym 07-22-2010 01:31 PM

That's a good point. A female betta will be less troublesome than a male. You loose most of the finnage but they still have some impressive colors.

Byron 07-22-2010 08:06 PM

Aside from previous points, both danios and tetras are shoaling fish that should only be kept in groups of 6 or more. A 10g is not large enough for all that. And not for danios anyway because they are active swimmers that need (deserve) space to swim, at least a 24-inch tank. Cardinals are not active and like quiet plant-thick tanks, but six of them would fill your 10g and with your water parameters I would not suggest cardinals as they are sensitive and require soft (very soft) acidic water to be healthy, and I would recommend a larger tank of 24 inches.

A male betta deserves its own space, with perhaps some bottom fish, so that's one option. If you leave out the betta(s), there are some very interesting fish for a 10g. Given your basic water, the Celestial Pearl Danio (sometimes seen as Galaxy Rasbora) or Endlers livebearers come to mind. With softer water the dwarf rasbora fishes (Boraras brigittae and similar species), Ember Tetra, pencilfish like Nannostomus eques or Nannostomus marginatus.

The shaded fish names will take you to the profile for that species if you click on it.

iamgray 07-23-2010 09:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, Byron. I will do further reading on a few of those fishes for sure!

Hey is there any way you can merge the last few posts in my "LFS vs. Petsmart" thread (where we started talking about different stocking options) with this thread?

I have so far decided based on that other thread that I will not get the betta or frogs.

iamgray 07-23-2010 11:27 AM

Sooooo. My friend at work has a betta and an oto in a bowl, and is going on holidays for a month. He wants me to look after his fish, so, what if I don't get any of the shoaling fish for now, and see how his betta and oto like living with my guppy?

Then when he gets back and reclaims his fish, I think my favourite of the suggestions so far are the dwarf rasboras.

tanker 07-23-2010 11:13 PM

I don't think putting a betta and guppy together is a good idea. From what I've read, the betta might interpret the guppy's long fins as being those of another betta and attack it. The guppy might also nip the betta's fins.

Byron 07-24-2010 12:31 AM

I concur with tanker, not a good match. As for the merging of posts, I will handle that if you tell me which posts (by number) and give the link to that thread.

iamgray 07-29-2010 03:56 PM

So, just an update... I have added 3 harlequin rasboras and 3 platys (one red wag, two that are called... something with a mickey mouse shape on their tail). The coworker's oto is in the tank for now as well, and I kept the betta separate. It has been a few days and they are all doing well so far.

(Byron I think I'm not going to worry about merging the threads... the other one is fairly well buried anyways).