Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   6 month old female guppy..whats wrong!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/6-month-old-female-guppy-whats-47499/)

biokid101 07-20-2010 12:27 PM

6 month old female guppy..whats wrong!!

i have 2 juvinile males and a female at 6 months old and the males r develpod with colors and a gonopodium but they r still small..the female isnt getting color and i know she is a female cause she has a square gravid spot at an orange redish color.it gets dar sumtimes which made me think she is pregnant but shes not..idk why she isnt getting color or pregnant..could it be that there r other fish in the way of them getting to each other in that 10 gallon tank?? shud i move them into a different calm tank for them to breed successfully and get color???

fryup 07-20-2010 12:58 PM

theres nothing rong the males of the female mite not be "developed" enough (if you know what i mean) to have fry yet ...:) just give them time :):):)

biokid101 07-20-2010 09:45 PM

well my tank is getting pretty boring and i cant add any other thing cause then my tank will be overstocked.

Oldman47 07-20-2010 10:49 PM

Kid, it is no different here than on TFF, except that I am not a MOD here. The juveniles will definitely reproduce when they are ready and the females are probably about at the same stage of development as the males. The fact they have little color reflects the simple fact that female guppies are less colorful than males.

biokid101 07-21-2010 08:48 AM

but at what age will they grow to be the exact size as the adult guppys??? and what age will they be adults?

eileen 07-21-2010 10:02 AM

It takes awhile for them to reach adult size. It depends on the tanks you keep them in and the food and aquarium temperture. They grow faster in warmer temps. and bigger tanks that are not overcrowed and if they are fed a varitey for food 2 to 3 times a day.

If you want livebearers that both have color try getting Platies they come in a wide range of colors.The male and females are both colored. Same goes for swordtails but the platy and the swordtals can interbreed with each other and you have to have a bigger tank for a swordtail or molly. Mollies are nice but some get really big in size and require a big tank.

I like endlers for small tanks but you have the problem with the females being plain looking and you have to have more females them males unless you keep all males like I do in my desktop 2.5 gal. tank. You can always get a platy and just get a pregnate one as your can have babies from that one over 6 months or more without a male. I keep my females in a 10 gal. when they are ready to give birth and they are really big so the males do not bother them. I then put it back in my main tank afterwards. It's also good if you have the space to have all the females in their own tank and the males seperate. Just put a pair together in a breeding net for a couple of days if it is not already pregnate. I was lucky as my Bumblebee platy females do not eat their young. I have tiny fry swimming all aroung them with out a problem.

Just to let you know Petco will give you any baby fry you see in the tanks for Free. They can not sale them and if you ask they will give them to you. I think Petsmart is the same about the baby fry in the tanks as someone on this forum had a thread about the many free fish including ghost shrimp babies she was able to get.

kitten_penang 07-21-2010 10:13 AM

but the ratio he has is wrong 2 males to 1 female.the poor female might get stressed out when she gets pregnant coz both males will be nipping at her and that causes stress.

fryup 07-21-2010 04:21 PM

i would say 6 females to your 2 males :):):)

biokid101 07-21-2010 05:57 PM

but the pet store soesnt sell females as small as her and i cant buy anymore..plus the males dont even pay attention to her..i think all the other fry are females so it would be 6 females to 2 males if it stays that way..when i went to the pet store 2 days ago i saw a little baby guppy but i didnt want to ask for it cause it was only one and i dont wanna house just one fry..the 6 month old female is i think starting to get color..its a tint of yellow on all her fins i just had to change the light

kitten_penang 07-22-2010 10:21 AM

thats great news then =) try to make a breeding cage that way yo'll get a lot of fry's when she's mature enough to reproduce =)