Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   gold gourami problem (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/gold-gourami-problem-4743/)

gazza2006au 04-04-2007 12:06 AM

gold gourami problem

i have a pretty big tank 360 litres or 95 gallons ive had 7 gold fish roughly 8-10cm and 3 small algie eaters roughly 4-5cm two days ago i bought 2 gold gourami's both are a little bigger than the gold fish the first day i put them into the tank they were fine getting along well with the gold fish swimming all around the tank now they are just sitting in one corner not moving much hiding behind a plant 24 hours a day and not eating much should i let them settle in longer or remove them from the tank and buy different fish?

herefishy 04-04-2007 12:11 AM

My guess, since you didn't elaborate on how the gouramis wera acting toward each other, is that the gourami that is hiding is not the alpha. The dominant fish may be exiling the less dominant to hide behind the plants. Have you notice any unusual behavior such as lack of eating, or aggressive behavior between the two gouramis? Are the any signs of disease or marks of aggression on the fish in hiding?

gazza2006au 04-04-2007 12:19 AM

both are eating very little if any.. one gourami was abit territorial towards the other and both of the gouramis are showing signs of being aggressive towards the gold fish and alot of touching with there wisker thingos and there are no marks they look good also when feeding they try to bolt off smashing into the glass :?

Lupin 04-04-2007 12:56 AM

Whisker thingies=ventral fins

Weasel F. 04-04-2007 05:16 PM

One thing is there both males or both female. The other thing is you have a tropical fish in with cold water spices. That's not going to work in the short run or long run. The gourmis have total differnt needs then the gold fish.

gazza2006au 04-04-2007 09:15 PM

there has been improvement in the tank i have 1 male 1 female gourami the female is getting along with the gold fish pretty well she comes out to play only when the gold fish are near by and once she sees someone walking or moving in the room she bolts back behind the plants the male just stays behind the plant 99% of the time but he is slowly doing circles around the front of the plant every now and again i will be buying more fish soon what would go well with what i have i can pick from the folowing
silver sharks
angle fish
silver gouramis
gold gouramis
clown loach
maybe a discus

leifthebunny 04-04-2007 09:45 PM

I would recommend against the Discus. They require higher water temps and tend to do better in species only tanks. I would also probably skip on the angelfish as well as they tend to not like overly active tanks or nippers and I've heard the gold gouramis can get a bit rough.

gazza2006au 04-05-2007 01:17 AM

i ended up going with 4 silver sharks and 4 black widows im about to introduce them to there new home :D

Weasel F. 04-06-2007 04:04 PM

Is it just me are M I the only one seeing that He's adding fish to a cold water tank. Either the gold fish are the tripicals need to be moved. They have totally differnt water requirments.

gazza2006au 04-06-2007 09:05 PM

as for the "cold water" im in australia tank temps vary from 23c-29c